Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Re: Brexit - The Biden Effect?

Do not write Trump off. He stole it last time from under Clinton's nose when she polled the most votes. Trump is far more astute than people give him credit for and I can see him eventually getting his 2nd term by foul means if not fair.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Biden is a democrat - he was VP under Obama.
If I could show you the stuff my American friends send me on a daily basis about Biden, you would find that the Republicans see him as an Arch-Communist, that is further out on the left-wing of politics than the Chinese Polit Bureau.

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Do not write Trump off. He stole it last time from under Clinton's nose when she polled the most votes. Trump is far more astute than people give him credit for and I can see him eventually getting his 2nd term by foul means if not fair.
In the USA, if the Presidential Election was on a purely "first passed the post" basis then the Republicans would NEVER have a chance of electing a President. This is because the number of Democrats living in the cities of New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles far out number the Republicans in the rest of the USA. This is why they have an Electoral College.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
You are in many ways (but not completely) correct.
When reading this media blurb one must consider the terminology used and pay heed to the sources for the information you read.
Nowadays sadly far too much of what is printed and broadcast is in fact opinion and not factual news.

Personally I prefer to form my opinions from interpretation of facts and data - and in the example above there are none.
Hence my asking the question you couldn't - and won't be able to - answer.
It's because the whole subject is based upon the opinions of others.

So yes, there is indeed another source when reading any article about pretty much any subject.
That is the publisher of the data or the person discussing what is being reported.
Anything published without the support of data; without a direct quote from the person discussed; or without substantiated evidence in support of what is being reported is unreliable.

Now I understand that in this day and age there are far too many people who interpret far too much of this unsubstantiated "blurb" as being factual and then use this as a basis upon which to form an opinion.
Doing so is, as I hope you now understand, not very sensible.
No it does not lead you into believing "what is most likely" because the weight of bias actively prevents that.

Surely Brexit alone has been an excellent example of trying to use such bias?

Nowadays almost everything we purchase is reviewed somewhere on the internet.
Many of these reviews are biased in one way or another, for example companies using Amazon give people free samples in return for an "honest" review or will give purchasers a discount or other incentive in return for a good review.

Advertisements glamorise or make unsubstantiated claims about products to entice people into making a purchase.
Sadly, our media are frequently taking the same path and using unsubstantiated claims in order to pursue their own agenda, only they're being dressed as facts in order to fool the gullible.
The BBC for example has been taken to task for this quite a few times but it pervades media both here and elsewhere, the USA especially.

Many of us know this and that's why you will frequently see The Express or The Daily Mail and others have their "reports" condemned by those with the opposite bias.

So unless any story can be verified and/or attributed, treat it as a story; a work of fiction.
Because without a verifiable attributable source, that's what it is.
No matter how many times or where it is repeated.
Interesting thoughts, Zaph, we are lucky that we have a brain which can filter, analyse, and respond to whatever stuff is coming our way down the media pipes.

Given all that Media stuff, and who is paying for the production of it, there's little wonder that we all seem to slightly varying views, which are often built on trust of the messages received.

Crap, as a media/advertising tool, must work or the advertisers, political parties, etc. would not use it so heavily.

We are where we are, I am what I am!

Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Interesting thoughts, Zaph, we are lucky that we have a brain which can filter, analyse, and respond to whatever stuff is coming our way down the media pipes.

Given all that Media stuff, and who is paying for the production of it, there's little wonder that we all seem to slightly varying views, which are often built on trust of the messages received.

Crap, as a media/advertising tool, must work or the advertisers, political parties, etc. would not use it so heavily.

We are where we are, I am what I am!

Crap does indeed work - hence advertising; look at the frankly riduculous claims for the proliferation of "anti-wrinkle" and "anti-ageing" creams as a prime example. Some of these are hugely expensive and not one works! Not. A. Single. One. If it did, ladies all over the world would turn the product red-hot!

There is of course the alternate possibility that I am just over-cynical.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 04:35 PM

I posted elsewhere this poll prediction from a guy who's been right 25 times out of 27 - and that includes getting the last one right!

https://spectator.org/helmut-norpoth...-win-november/

I must add here that TBH I have no great preference either way.
I am not a citizen of the USA and further, I do not believe that whoever wins anything much will change regarding the UK.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 04:43 PM

It will be interesting to see if he's right 26 times out of 28.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 04:49 PM

I posted elsewhere this poll prediction from a guy who's been right 25 times out of 27 - and that includes getting the last one right!

https://spectator.org/helmut-norpoth...-win-november/

I must add here that TBH I have no great preference either way.
I am not a citizen of the USA and further, I do not believe that whoever wins anything much will change regarding the UK.

Farage got the election right in 2016 as well and he is so confident of a Trump victory he put a £10,000 bet on it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

02-11-2020, 05:26 PM

Has anybody noticed the interesting news that the UK has decided to take back direct control of the operation and development of the country's nuclear weapons?

Of the three existing parties currently responsible (and contracted to be so until 2025) two who between them control 75.5% of responsibility are American.

Please remember that part of the responsibilities includes a requirement to "retain the capability to design a new weapon".
I'm left wondering if the UK is indeed determined to restart the once-traditional defense industries (like our shipbuilding); I do hope we are.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN27I0T5?il=0

I posted it here because the removal of such a valuable contract from the hands of the USA might be a "reminder" that we aren't as dependent as some think.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 07:33 PM

Has anybody noticed the interesting news that the UK has decided to take back direct control of the operation and development of the country's nuclear weapons?

Of the three existing parties currently responsible (and contracted to be so until 2025) two who between them control 75.5% of responsibility are American.

Please remember that part of the responsibilities includes a requirement to "retain the capability to design a new weapon".
I'm left wondering if the UK is indeed determined to restart the once-traditional defense industries (like our shipbuilding); I do hope we are.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN27I0T5?il=0

I posted it here because the removal of such a valuable contract from the hands of the USA might be a "reminder" that we aren't as dependent as some think.

Looks like the overhaul of MOD spending is underway. Go Cummings !
Zaphod
Lincs UK

03-11-2020, 12:48 PM

From the OP's
Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Given that Biden is making all of these promises to ride with the EU ,and to refuse the UK a US Trade agreement, if he is elected (as seems likely!),
Today the Independent is reporting this:
"Biden victory wouldn’t stop UK-US trade deal, claims ambassador"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1554424.html

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top