Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 11:25 AM

Re: Brexit - The Biden Effect?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Apparently, Biden is going to push all "trade deals" to the back of the queue, for about a year, as he sets about fixing the USA first.

I think he means the UK! (again)

(from the Telegraph this morning, 3rd Dec)
Despite the usual Brxit rhetoric I thought maybe he was referring to the EU who have been asking him to reconsider tariffs and to forge a new alliance to meet the challenges posed by China.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/eu-us...-idINKBN28C1TN

But regardless, we don't have a deal now so what will change?
Plus I've said before that IMHO far too much is made of trade deals when the reality is - as we know from our experiences with the EU - that all too soon they can become counter-productive and restrictive.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
But regardless, we don't have a deal now so what will change?
Plus I've said before that IMHO far too much is made of trade deals when the reality is - as we know from our experiences with the EU - that all too soon they can become counter-productive and restrictive.
Indeed.

If we did make a trade deal with the US, I can imagine what conditions they will include.

Entirely to the benefit of America, of course.

That would just be taking our country away from the EU and handing it over to America.

No thanks. My preference is to try to attract back our former friends, our real friends: the Commonwealth nations.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Indeed.

If we did make a trade deal with the US, I can imagine what conditions they will include.

Entirely to the benefit of America, of course.

That would just be taking our country away from the EU and handing it over to America.

No thanks. My preference is to try to attract back our former friends, our real friends: the Commonwealth nations.
That would be my personal preference too.

I'm sure for example that Kiwis would love an opportunity to fill any import void with those dairy products which tariffs from EU imports might see leading to raised prices, as discussed in another thread.

Current tensions with China might make such actions more likely too.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top