Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:32 AM

Re: Poland & Hungary Threaten Veto to EU Stimulus Package

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
How do you get that the penalised countries aren't democratic?

I didn't say they weren't democratic but do you think that perhaps it was this bit of the quoted article does say that?

Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Do you think that perhaps it was this bit of the quoted article?

They are protesting against an unelected commission ruling on budget allocations that they have no say over.

Your article is nearly 3 years old as well.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
They are protesting against an unelected commission ruling on budget allocations that they have no say over.

Your article is nearly 3 years old as well.
No, the article I showed was in the piece you quoted in your original post. Perhaps you should have read it first before writing twaddle.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It is to do with us though; it clearly demonstrates the EU's capacity for coercion.
Just like they are trying with the UK now regarding a deal to leave - which, be honest, is more than a little ridiculous.
Imagine needing permission to leave and carry on trading like we did for centuries before the EU was ever a "thing".

You don't see such actions further promoting a split within the EU either I suppose?
You know, like the split which led us to leaving after Cameron tried for reforms and was sent away by the EU with a flea in his ear.
Hi

Nope, we have left, so nothing to do with us at all, which is why I voted Leave.

The Common Market was fine, very different to the EU.

We can carry on Trading with the EU as we did before we joined the Common Market,it is called WTO Rules.

The EU are under no obligation whatsoever to give us any sort of deal.

We lose our preferential Trading Agreements, but regain our sovreignty.

A fair swap in my view.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:49 AM

No, the article I showed was in the piece you quoted in your original post. Perhaps you should have read it first before writing twaddle.
So you think Hungary and Poland are authoritarian regimes ???
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

17-11-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope, we have left, so nothing to do with us at all, which is why I voted Leave.

The Common Market was fine, very different to the EU.

We can carry on Trading with the EU as we did before we joined the Common Market,it is called WTO Rules.

The EU are under no obligation whatsoever to give us any sort of deal.

We lose our preferential Trading Agreements, but regain our sovreignty.

A fair swap in my view.

We don't have preferential trading agreements with the EU, we are bound by their rules which binds us to the single market non tarrif barriers and other beurocratic nonesense.

Canada has much preferential trading agreements, same as Japan, Singapore and the other countries with (so called) FTA's with the EU.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

17-11-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
So you think Hungary and Poland are totalitarian regimes ???
No, how on earth did you come up with that? What I did say is:

Good job you are leaving if they are starting to penalise countries that are not democratic.
Because the article you quoted said

"In EU technocrat-speak adhering to "democratic standards" tends to mean everything from open EU borders, to state services for all migrants, to redefining marriage, to ceding sovereignty to a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels, to abortion on demand."

And illustrated this with the article I showed to your mate who also had apparently not bothered to read it.

As I have said elsewhere it is obvious that comprehension is not your strong point but it is getting ridiculous when you don't even understand the articles you cite.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

17-11-2020, 12:16 PM

No, how on earth did you come up with that? What I did say is:

Because the article you quoted said

"In EU technocrat-speak adhering to "democratic standards" tends to mean everything from open EU borders, to state services for all migrants, to redefining marriage, to ceding sovereignty to a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels, to abortion on demand."

And illustrated this with the article I showed to your mate who also had apparently not bothered to read it.

As I have said elsewhere it is obvious that comprehension is not your strong point but it is getting ridiculous when you don't even understand the articles you cite.

I understand the article perfectly well, Bruce. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't.

So the EU commission is democratic and Poland and Hungary (opposing their budget) is not democratic ?

I'm not with you, Bruce, one minute your quoting articles saying that Poland and Hungary are authoritarian regimes and the next your saying they are democratic.

I've said consistently the EU is not democratic and Poland and Hungary opposing the EU budget is democratic.

Why do you not understand that ?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 12:34 PM

I didn't say they weren't democratic but do you think that perhaps it was this bit of the quoted article does say that?
Yes you did.

Good job you are leaving if they are starting to penalise countries that are not democratic.
Go on, who else are the EU currently trying to penalise that we were discussing then?

As for your other post I "bothered to read it" just fine ta, thanks for the unwarranted condescension "mate".

But I think it's pretty safe to say that because we are a little bit more used to the pro-EU rhetoric and propaganda so commonly spouted across EU-land, that we are justifiably wary of suggestions that everything anti-EU must somehow be bad.

As if Poland really wants to "cozy up" to Russia!

Don't you know anything of Poland's history?
Or of Polish attitudes towards Russia?
Hungary just maybe but Poland?
Not likely - which kinda proves the point about how pro-EU biased that bit that you're clinging to just to try & make a point is.

The EU's problem with both Poland and Hungary is that they do not subscribe to the EU vision of democracy.
A democracy which wants to ignore the needs of citizens and of individual member countries in favour of ever-increasing federalism.

There is no place in the EU for any member country to democratically nominate a government which accedes to the wishes of its people in preference to the wishes of the union.
The union must come first.
Always.
As such, there's your truly authoritarian party in this debate.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We are no longer members of the EU so nothing to do with us.

Time to concentrate on our own problems.
I agree that Poland and Hungary standing up for themselves against the EU dictators is no concern of ours.

However, we are at perfect liberty to discuss the matter!

I agree with what others have said; that this demonstrates exactly how the EU strives to control fully its 'member states', which relates exactly to how they are attempting to bully us into agreeing to remain, at least in some part, subject to their rules if we want a trade agreement with them.

Significant, too, that they demanded no such 'agreements' of Canada and Japan - for some reason!
Perhaps it's something to do with our proximity to their empire, or perhaps it's because we were once part of their empire and they want to discourage anyone else from escaping. The latter, of course, is almost certainly the real reason!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top