Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 12:58 AM

Re: The UK Global Tarrifs

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
JBR, personally I wouldn't be buying any EU-made car if the EU don't give us a trade deal with no strings.

Were it myself I would consider the new Toyota Corolla instead, built in Derby too.
I see that the Corolla is one of those hybrid things. No, no, that wouldn't do at all. We don't want one of those!

If not I might go Kia Ceed which seems to be a good alternative..
Doesn't look too bad. Might have a look at that.

Or if Honda relent and keep Swindon I might buy the new Civic, which is looking to be a good Golf alternative & they aren't due until spring 2021 - but not unless they bring manufacturing back to the UK.
Well, this one has one of those silly 'wing' things on the back of the hatchback, and the 'nav' screen is much too small.

Thanks for your advice, though.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I see that the Corolla is one of those hybrid things. No, no, that wouldn't do at all. We don't want one of those!
You're going to have to before long if you want a new car.
Why not make the most of the benefits now?
If you want speed the Hybrid 184 will surely put a smile on your face and it does far more miles per gallon than a Golf.

Oh and the new Honda Civic is very different to the old, winged Civic - but as I said, personally I would be waiting 6 months for the dust to settle and see what happens.
If you're afraid that a three-year-old Golf is going to start costing you within six months or a year, that surely is reason enough to reconsider another?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 10:32 AM

New Fiesta is good, so is the Astra.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
New Fiesta is good, so is the Astra.
BUT:

The Fiesta is made in Germany so that's a definite no from me.
(Aftersales & warranty on Fords is apalling BTW and - having suffered in the recent past with an EcoBoom engine - that alone would be enough to put me right off. It's a shame because I like Fords & they are a real drivers car too.)

The Vauxhall is made by the French PSA group & until I could be assured that UK manufacturing will continue, that would be another "no" - hence why I said "wait for 6 months or so".
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 01:57 PM

BUT:

The Fiesta is made in Germany so that's a definite no from me.
(Aftersales & warranty on Fords is apalling BTW and - having suffered in the recent past with an EcoBoom engine - that alone would be enough to put me right off. It's a shame because I like Fords & they are a real drivers car too.)

The Vauxhall is made by the French PSA group & until I could be assured that UK manufacturing will continue, that would be another "no" - hence why I said "wait for 6 months or so".
The Fiesta looks OK, but we'd still like another Golf. We buy what we like.

I should also mention that I have no problems with the Germans, other than the possibility that our tariffs may make their cars more expensive. It's the Frogs, our historic and present enemy, who I detest and will have nothing to do with.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 02:02 PM

I should also mention that I have no problems with the Germans, other than the possibility that our tariffs may make their cars more expensive. It's the Frogs, our historic and present enemy, who I detest and will have nothing to do with.
I had a Citroen once

Never again - I had it brand new in 2000 and it was towed off the drive in a load of bits by 2006.

Awful awful cars.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

01-12-2020, 03:22 PM

Which is as it should be.
No argument from me there, I'm just stating my own stance.

I have German family so I understand that.
Just like here, the people aren't normally the problem.

But I've seen Merkel's domineering stance, her interference and the damage she has caused as well as noticing that for many years the largest benefits of the EU have flowed more towards Germany than to any other member.
France included.
Germany has profited by far the most of any EU member from the EU and its expansion, growing and becoming ever more profitable while others are thrown mere tidbits if that.

So while I agree with you about France, Germany in my eyes is at least equally deserving of those sentiments if not more-so.
Poles have thought this too for quite a while and the Hungarians are catching up, but even the Italians are beginning to realise after the initial reactions to covid.

As such, given a choice I will not ever again buy a German car, a German cooker or washer, or a German drill or anything else German if the EU persist in their domineering stance.
Merkel is, as we all know, the main protagonist and Barmier is only doing her bidding.
I refuse to voluntarily fund any country which in turn funds those who wish me harm.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 04:38 PM

Which is as it should be.
No argument from me there, I'm just stating my own stance.

I have German family so I understand that.
Just like here, the people aren't normally the problem.

But I've seen Merkel's domineering stance, her interference and the damage she has caused as well as noticing that for many years the largest benefits of the EU have flowed more towards Germany than to any other member.
France included.
Germany has profited by far the most of any EU member from the EU and its expansion, growing and becoming ever more profitable while others are thrown mere tidbits if that.

So while I agree with you about France, Germany in my eyes is at least equally deserving of those sentiments if not more-so.
Poles have thought this too for quite a while and the Hungarians are catching up, but even the Italians are beginning to realise after the initial reactions to covid.

As such, given a choice I will not ever again buy a German car, a German cooker or washer, or a German drill or anything else German if the EU persist in their domineering stance.
Merkel is, as we all know, the main protagonist and Barmier is only doing her bidding.
I refuse to voluntarily fund any country which in turn funds those who wish me harm.

How will you know if it is indeed a German product Zaphod when
German products are predominantly manufactured in China/Brazil
and Mexico etc now days???
You pay for German Shepherd and end up with a mongrel ?!?!
Its what they call ' globalism' !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Zaphod
Lincs UK

01-12-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
How will you know if it is indeed a German product Zaphod when
German products are predominantly manufactured in China/Brazil
and Mexico etc now days???
You pay for German Shepherd and end up with a mongrel ?!?!
Its what they call ' globalism' !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Well soon we will know because they will cost more!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top