Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 06:14 PM

Re: New EU Ferry to lreland !!

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I can't speak for other areas but I know there have been major road improvements at Immingham, plus the port has seen recent expansion and there's even a new power station in the pipeline.
So it is ready if it becomes a freeport, and ABP already says that it is the UK's largest port by tonnage.

Then we have Hull, Goole and Grimsby too with Grimsby for example receiving imported cars on "superships" carrying 9,000 at a time as well as being still the major fish market not only for Britain but for the EU.
I's also a centre for the wind energy industry and will supply most of "the north" with electricity by 2030.

Goole is the busiest inland port in the country, and Hull is the UK's leading softwood timber port as well as of course having the ferry service to Holland and Belgium.
Hull also builds those huge wind turbines, and Goole is seeing a factory being built to supply trains to the London Underground.

All of the above make this part of the world ideal in many ways for making the most of future opportunities and I'm sure this area is not alone in that.

Are those things really happening Zaphod??
If so l find it encouraging !
But l notice you didnt mention the west coast ?
That also needs to be included in the plans to make sure that road
transport does'nt have to travel to far north to south ?
Is liverpool still operating as a port?

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Are those things really happening Zaphod??
If so l find it encouraging !
But l notice you didnt mention the west coast ?
That also needs to be included in the plans to make sure that road
transport does'nt have to travel to far north to south ?
Is liverpool still operating as a port?

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
I don't live on the west coast so I don't know enough from personal experience to comment, but yes the things I mentioned have either already happened or are well underway.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 06:39 PM

Wonder if it will mean an end to the CTA?

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 06:57 PM

Are we beginning to see why Boris proposed a bridge to Northern Ireland?

Maybe more practical than the time lost due to loading and unloading in and out of Ferries?

And a toll would help pay for it.

Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

I doubt it because of the Good Friday Agreement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-area-guidance

https://www.dfa.ie/brexit/getting-ir...n-travel-area/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Whats the CTA Juddy?
The only thing l can think of is 'the cmmon travel arrangement' ??
If so,what is its purpose??
Surely the new ferry will affect any previous arrangements
concerning travel or customs etc??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 08:24 PM

I can't speak for other areas but I know there have been major road improvements at Immingham, plus the port has seen recent expansion and there's even a new power station in the pipeline.
So it is ready if it becomes a freeport, and ABP already says that it is the UK's largest port by tonnage.

Then we have Hull, Goole and Grimsby too with Grimsby for example receiving imported cars on "superships" carrying 9,000 at a time as well as being still the major fish market not only for Britain but for the EU.
I's also a centre for the wind energy industry and will supply most of "the north" with electricity by 2030.

Goole is the busiest inland port in the country, and Hull is the UK's leading softwood timber port as well as of course having the ferry service to Holland and Belgium.
Hull also builds those huge wind turbines, and Goole is seeing a factory being built to supply trains to the London Underground.

All of the above make this part of the world ideal in many ways for making the most of future opportunities and I'm sure this area is not alone in that.
I think Peterhead is the biggest fish market in the UK.
https://thefishingdaily.com/latest-n...es-statistics/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

01-12-2020, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Are we beginning to see why Boris proposed a bridge to Northern Ireland?

Maybe more practical than the time lost due to loading and unloading in and out of Ferries?

And a toll would help pay for it.

I agree about the loading and unoading of ferries but not sure of
the bridge though, we seem to have too many unfinished rojects on
the go at the moment?
I see another one has just emerged from the pidgeon hole today?
A tunnell under the thames at Gravesend for christs sake??
Costing more per mile by 40% than HS2? ONLY 14miles though?
A mere 8 billion £ !!
That makes a total of 5 unfinished major projects on the go at one
time??
No wonder they dont get finished ??

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Zaphod
Lincs UK

02-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I think Peterhead is the biggest fish market in the UK.
https://thefishingdaily.com/latest-n...es-statistics/
No.
What you think is incorrect.
Where fish is landed is not necessarily where it is put to market.

To quote Wikipedia about Grimsby:
"The town still has the largest fish market in the UK"

While Grimsby no longer has the largest fishing fleet or lands the most fish, the history of when it did for many years is why it not only hosts the largest fish market and the largest fish action but it has this too:
"Greater Grimsby is home to around 500 food-related companies, giving it one of the largest concentrations of food manufacturing, research, storage, and distribution in Europe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:24 AM

No.
What you think is incorrect.
Where fish is landed is not necessarily where it is put to market.

To quote Wikipedia about Grimsby:
"The town still has the largest fish market in the UK"

While Grimsby no longer has the largest fishing fleet or lands the most fish, the history of when it did for many years is why it not only hosts the largest fish market and the largest fish action but it has this too:
"Greater Grimsby is home to around 500 food-related companies, giving it one of the largest concentrations of food manufacturing, research, storage, and distribution in Europe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby
A lot of that is for historical reasons, I put a load of weighing and labelling equipment in at a big fish plant called "Smales" over in Hull many moons ago. A lot of fish imported now is packaged before shipping from other countries so the processing for companies such as Smales has seen a decline in demand.

One of the great things about the fisheries bill, is that over 60% of fish caught in our waters must be landed and processed in a UK port. This means that for the big factory processing ships, it becomes unviable in terms of cost and for the big pelagic freezer trawlers as well. Same goes for the Dutch, Spanish and Danish flag boats who never see a UK port even though they are UK registered companies.

Of course, the remainers will still ramble on about fishing being only a tiny fraction of our GDP, but when you factor all these aspects of fishing (see the list below) you can see why it isn't and if they want proof, just look at the panic on the faces of the Dutch, French and Spanish over the return of fish stocks to the UK and the end of the CFP in UK waters. If it was that unimportant, they would be shrugging their shoulders and saying "so what".

Here is a short list....
1. Boat building, repair, maintenance berthing
2. Boat crew
3. Clothing and safety equipment
4. Fuel
5. Tools and equipment
6. Marine spares and boat chandlery
7. Fish landing (plus all the machinery and jobs that go with it)
8. Fish processing - jobs, supply chain, transport and all the equipment, catering, employment, pensions, company cars, work equipment, IT etc etc needed to run these plants
9. Tax revenues
10. Harbour staff, maintenance contracts, equipment investment such as radio, IT, communications etc etc
11. Port authorities - jobs, investment, new equipment, infrastructure etc

Then ...

1. Tourism
2. Restaurants, cafe's and pubs/bars
3. Fishing charters for recreational sea anglers
4. Fishing equipment, reels, rods, line, hooks, clothing (a £2 billion industry in itself)
5. Foreign tourism into the UK (as we do to place such as Norway, USA, South Africa and Canada)
6. Transport, fuel, motorway services etc

And thats just a list off the top of my head while I'm eating a biscuit.

There is loads more where that came from. The best sea fishing rods by the way are made in the UK - Century and Zziplex. There used to be Conoflex too but they went to the wall a few years ago. The UK is responsible for many sea fishing innovations from companies such as Breakaway Tackle, Ian Golds, Gemini Tackle etc etc.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top