Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Re: Today on Brexit Central, Austin Mitchell Nails it Again !

Originally Posted by gascony ->
You make multiple points and many errors.
1. Where do I get my figures from? Just google the questions and there are many sources - the common figures are I showed.

You should be careful where you get your answers. Google is notorious for providing biased results and fake news.

2. The EU economies are in decline - wrong. Consider Poland, its being growing at about 4% pa for the last 20 years. True, some countries growth is low but even the worst performing EU countries are slowly pulling back from the terrible 2008 crash. Please provide figures to support your claim otherwise we can simply reject it.

Countries are not pulling back at all. Remember what Draghi said ... "whatever it takes", well, that was for a good reason - more quantitive easing and it continuing for 11 years after the 2008 crash. The UK ended QE in 2014 and since then we are the strongest performer in the EU. Overall the EU is in decline - singling out Poland does not cover the other 26 countries. Germany is on the brink of recession - your biggest contributor and not recovering at all. China has over 1000% increase in repossessions so your emerging markets are spending less - bad bad bad news for the EU

Your debt levels are eye watering - and increasing due to the continuing (never ending) QE (which is also giving false positives about economic growth). Check your unemployment figures and compare them to ours - that should show you how well you are performing.

3. The UK benefits least out of the single market. How do you figure that? The single market was a Thatcher concept that hugely benefits the UK. As is evidenced by the 48% of our exports going to the EU.

I got the information from the Single Market Scoreboard 2019 published by the European Commission - the UK is the least integrated for goods and 3rd from bottom in services. Overall we benefit from it least. That "Thatcher Concept" also involves us paying in net 10-12 billion a year -only thanks to Thatcher getting the rebate. Otherwise we would be contributing the most out of the 28 (around 1.5 times Germany) and getting the least benefits in return.

The UK trades less with the EU year on year. The future for us is outside of it, trading with the rest of the world.

4. We will get better trade deals out of the EU. No, we are very unlikely to do that. We benefit from the EU agreed trade deals with many countries and these are on terms that the UK alone are very unlikely to improve on. Why would any country give a better deal to a place that offers less than the whole of the EU?

Define "better trade deal". Canada has a better trade deal than the UK because it does not have to be governed by Brussels and paty 10-12 Billion net into it.

Answers above in your post
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The same as printing you duffer!!!

Regards Donkeyman!

Oh! so the answer to the £1.7 Trillion national debt is to print £1.7 Trillion pounds is it? Dumb boy

Governments borrow by selling government bonds/gilts to the private sector. ... If governments print money to pay off the national debt, inflation would rise. This increase in inflation would reduce the value of bonds. If inflation increases, people will not want to hold bonds because their value is falling.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Answer the question, duffer!

Regards Donkeyman!

What question hee-haw?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Oh! so the answer to the £1.7 Trillion national debt is to print £1.7 Trillion pounds is it? Dumb boy

Governments borrow by selling government bonds/gilts to the private sector. ... If governments print money to pay off the national debt, inflation would rise. This increase in inflation would reduce the value of bonds. If inflation increases, people will not want to hold bonds because their value is falling.
Here is some information on German Bonds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/euro...-idUSL8N2451YB

Looking good yes ?
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

22-07-2019, 03:41 PM

1. Source of info – I think when I see a web site from the UK govt or Reuters or similar I can be fairly sure it is not fake numbers. But thanks for the advice on being careful about info sources.
2. EU not growing. Yes it is. Maybe some countries might move into recession – the UK is one of them. Oh, and a hard Brexit is just the sort of unwanted kick to push so many into recession. Explain the benefit of Brexit again?
3. So the UK can’t export much? That is a UK problem and not an EU problem. And it is a problem, Germany exports much more to India and China than the UK does. Most of our exports are services. A pity services are not normally covered by trade agreements – oh, wait, there is one agreement that includes services. That is the EU.
4. So you think the agreement with EU & Canada is better than the agreement of trading with the EU when in the EU? Explain how that works.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

22-07-2019, 03:48 PM

I use "we" as in a national of the UK. And as a UK citizen I think that allows me to say "we" in reference to the UK and it definitely allows me to have a view on Brexit.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-07-2019, 04:00 PM

1. Source of info – I think when I see a web site from the UK govt or Reuters or similar I can be fairly sure it is not fake numbers. But thanks for the advice on being careful about info sources.
2. EU not growing. Yes it is. Maybe some countries might move into recession – the UK is one of them. Oh, and a hard Brexit is just the sort of unwanted kick to push so many into recession. Explain the benefit of Brexit again?
3. So the UK can’t export much? That is a UK problem and not an EU problem. And it is a problem, Germany exports much more to India and China than the UK does. Most of our exports are services. A pity services are not normally covered by trade agreements – oh, wait, there is one agreement that includes services. That is the EU.
4. So you think the agreement with EU & Canada is better than the agreement of trading with the EU when in the EU? Explain how that works.

Nope

You haven't read my post.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

22-07-2019, 04:11 PM

Yes I did. But when you claim the EU is not growing when in fact Spain's growth in the last quarter was higher than the UK I sense that you do not care about facts. You mention debt levels - one of the worst levels is the UK. We created that. Our fiscal policy is so poor that we have one of the world's worst debts. It is going to get worse with Brexit - no serious commentator thinks otherwise. I am quite certain that you have convinced yourself that the EU is bad for the UK. Whereas the reality is that problems we have (poor at manufacturing, poor at exporting, poor at taking advantage of a massive single market on our doorstep) are not problems created by the EU or from membership of the EU. And they are not problems that will be solved by leaving the EU. Remember the much promised hike in exports when the pound went through the floor back in 2016? How did that go? We should have been 20% more competitive so surely the export orders would have flooded in.... nope.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Yes I did. But when you claim the EU is not growing when in fact Spain's growth in the last quarter was higher than the UK I sense that you do not care about facts. You mention debt levels - one of the worst levels is the UK. We created that. Our fiscal policy is so poor that we have one of the world's worst debts. It is going to get worse with Brexit - no serious commentator thinks otherwise. I am quite certain that you have convinced yourself that the EU is bad for the UK. Whereas the reality is that problems we have (poor at manufacturing, poor at exporting, poor at taking advantage of a massive single market on our doorstep) are not problems created by the EU or from membership of the EU. And they are not problems that will be solved by leaving the EU. Remember the much promised hike in exports when the pound went through the floor back in 2016? How did that go? We should have been 20% more competitive so surely the export orders would have flooded in.... nope.

Spain is lying about its GDP figures again..

Here try this, it's from the Guardian so it must be true

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...63894826070564
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

22-07-2019, 04:24 PM

That is it. When there is data you dislike then its lies. You have a very poor sense of judgement - which explains your love of Brexit. Good luck with that.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top