Join for free
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2016, 10:23 PM

Unicycling to better health!

Been riding since 2006 when I turned 50. Since then have logged over 25,000 miles and it has been an incredible life-changing experience.

This is from 9.13.16. Nearly 600 more videos here.

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2016, 10:44 PM

Re: Unicycling to better health!

whew ... I got out of breath and exhausted just watching that.
You must have to have extremely good balance .. and where are the brakes located? Looks a bit scary to me .. with an adrenalin rush fit to make hair go instantaneously grey.

I take it they're just ridden off-road?

It's funny you should post this as only last week I was amazed to see one of these daft contraptions go past me up the town High Street .. Never seen one before.
How unsafe! He was only a couple of feet off the road surface. And there was queue of traffic stuck behind it as the driver immediately behind him looked too nervous to overtake .. so was causing a tailback.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2016, 10:55 PM

Another great video Terry.... where do you get the energy!

I would have a problem climbing all those steps let alone going up on a unicycle

Will have a look through your videos as and when I have time
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2016, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
whew ... I got out of breath and exhausted just watching that.
You must have to have extremely good balance .. and where are the brakes located? Looks a bit scary to me .. with an adrenalin rush fit to make hair go instantaneously grey.

I take it they're just ridden off-road?
Off-road unicycling is referred to as "MUni", short for mountain unicycling. This is an actual, legitimate sport that has been around for over 20 years now. The 36" unicycle I used in the video is actually made for long distance road riding. my last long ride was a few months back and I managed 174 miles in 20 hours.

I also do a lot of road climbing on a 29" unicycle with wheel built especially for this purpose. But my main riding discipline is MUni. For that I ride either my 24", which has a 3" wide tire and hydraulic brake, or my 26er or new 27.5, both with disc brakes.

Here is fast-paced sampling of pure mountain unicycling:

UniGeezer
California, USA

14-09-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Another great video Terry.... where do you get the energy!

I would have a problem climbing all those steps let alone going up on a unicycle

Will have a look through your videos as and when I have time
Haha, you're right about climbing up because I usually do walk up those stairs - there are actually 140 total! - and get winded doing so! Just walking up and down them would also be great exercise!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2016, 11:19 PM

174 miles in 20 hours.

wow .. not a sport to get fit ... you already have to be fit to do it and have the stamina.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top