Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 12:45 PM

How Could This Happen And Everyone Got Out Alive?

Occasionally, you read about massive gas explosions occurring in people’s homes, destroying the house, yet the occupants survive it! How is this so?
What causes a gas explosion in a domestic property, other than leaving the gas switched on?

Early this morning, there was a gas explosion in a house in Ashford Kent and the whole house was blown up...leaving just rubble. Seven people lived in the house and two are in hospital.

You look at the pics and there is just a gap where the house used to be. You imagine there should be settees, chairs, tables, television, kitchen appliances, beds, wardrobes scattered about but there doesn’t seem to be anything at all, just rubble.

I also feel sorry for the neighbours... what a start to their day!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...re_article-top
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 12:50 PM

Re: How Could This Happen And Everyone Got Out Alive?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Occasionally, you read about massive gas explosions occurring in people’s homes, destroying the house, yet the occupants survive it! How is this so?
What causes a gas explosion in a domestic property, other than leaving the gas switched on?

Early this morning, there was a gas explosion in a house in Ashford Kent and the whole house was blown up...leaving just rubble. Seven people lived in the house and two are in hospital.

You look at the pics and there is just a gap where the house used to be. You imagine there should be settees, chairs, tables, television, kitchen appliances, beds, wardrobes scattered about but there doesn’t seem to be anything at all, just rubble.

I also feel sorry for the neighbours... what a start to their day!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...re_article-top
If it WAS a gas leak. I'm inclined to think it was but these days ----- ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Perhaps one of them smoked and they could not smell the gas was leaking?

I think annual gas safety checks should be compulsory. They are currently optional.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Perhaps one of them smoked and they could not smell the gas was leaking?

I think annual gas safety checks should be compulsory. They are currently optional.
I agree with you, we have our boiler serviced every year, a gas safety check takes place.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I agree with you, we have our boiler serviced every year, a gas safety check takes place.
Here too. It is unbelievable but many won't have had a gas safety check for years. Not since getting a new boiler. Some companies do one when they install a new gas cooker. But it should be annual. I wonder how many still have those old fashioned carbon monoxide gas fires installed. They are meant to be serviced every year.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I'm saying nowt
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-05-2021, 02:32 PM

I can't see how anything else could have such an impact.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
TAT, Are you hinting at incidents of gas meter fraud, or a deliberate act by someone to the jeopardise the gas supply?

This is a general comment not aimed at the people in the article.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 03:05 PM

I feel awful for people who suffer such things and lose everything! There have been more house fires up here than gas explosions, and its tragic when people lose their lives. I would get everyone out and bugger the "stuff"

I have an annual gas safety check, even though I don't have gas coming into the house. My gas boiler is housed in a plant room and feeds into many flats round about.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 03:12 PM

Always pays to have an annual gas boiler check, but British Gas have their own yearly calender is different from what everyone else uses. They make up their own each year, may be a month earlier or a month later
We also have a gas leak sensor in the kitchen as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top