Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Is quiet rest as good as sleep?

I was awake at 5.00am but I resisted getting up. I just lay quietly awake in bed until 7.00am.

Was this 2 hours quiet rest as good as sleep I wondered?

Wish it was as I'm like this quite a lot.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Re: Is quiet rest as good as sleep?

I have meditated for over 35 years. I try to do it for at least a short while every day. It's not sleep and you still have full awareness but it provides some of the benefits of sleep. BUt you have to learn how to do it. It's more than just closing your eyes. I don't think anything is as good as proper sleep for 8 hours.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Keezoy could you tell us how you meditate and what to do and not do .

I do sit quietly in bed at night and just try to be but I fall asleep so it's not really proper meditation is it
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:58 AM

There are a few people that never sleep (so I have heard) and they survive on resting alone. Of course it has to be done in the correct way as Keezoy says.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I have meditated for over 35 years. I try to do it for at least a short while every day. It's not sleep and you still have full awareness but it provides some of the benefits of sleep. BUt you have to learn how to do it. It's more than just closing your eyes. I don't think anything is as good as proper sleep for 8 hours.
Never done that in my entire life, Keezoy!

I fall asleep a soon as my head hits the pillow - sleep so deeply that nothing wakes me - then five and a half hours later I am awake - bright eyed and bushy tailed!
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:58 PM

I heard it is the next best thing to sleep, if you are unable to sleep.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:59 PM

I don't think rest is as good as proper sleep Carol.

It probably does help the muscles to recover from a day's work, and I find that these days as I'm getting older I need more recovery time after a run. When in a deep sleep the body actually shuts systems down and diverts work to other areas (removing toxins eg) that doesn't occur when just resting.

And too much rest causes muscles to stiffen up and the reduced blood flow prevents recovery and the removal of lactic acids.

After a long Sunday run my muscles seem to have recovered by the afternoon, but the lethargic feeling only goes away after a good night's sleep.

After reading some of your posts Carol I notice that you are very fit and I am surprised that you don't get a good night's sleep, that could only be down to not being able to switch off your mind, and in that case learning to meditate as keezoy suggests would be an enormous benefit to you.

My late father in law attended a yoga class in his sixties, and reported that an hour of yoga seem to rest him more than an eight hour sleep....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Never done that in my entire life, Keezoy!

I fall asleep a soon as my head hits the pillow - sleep so deeply that nothing wakes me - then five and a half hours later I am awake - bright eyed and bushy tailed!
Same here Tabby, but I think meditation provides something different to sleep, more mind control and just as rewarding......
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't know about that Carol as I go to bed at 11 pm I am asleep within 10 mins and I don't wake up once until 9-30 the following morning......I guess I'm just fortunate with sleep.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:20 PM

Rest and sleep are two different things.
We are learning all the time with the help of technology about the function of sleep.

Here is an article about some recent reserch...

Scientists Now Know How Sleep Cleans Toxins From the Brain
https://www.wired.com/story/scientis...rom-the-brain/
rest is good sleep is better....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top