Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Portugal.

It's a dreich day here, so it's time to play "where would it be nice to go for a holiday?" . Now, I don't believe in booking far in advance and I can't understand those who book a year ahead. I've not long booked our Xmas break in Germany for early Dec. But, as I say, it's dreich here so it does no harm to look at some ideas.

Anyway, Mrs. Grumble has often expressed a wish to see Portugal. Don't know why, but there it is. Have any of you seasoned travellers ever been there, and if so where would you recommend?

We don't like heat so would go early / late season. We like museums, architecture, sight seeing, shopping etc... We'd like to try local food & drink too.... and nothing too touristy. Unfortunately, we don't speak the lingo, but can manage a bit of German, French and Dutch.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Re: Portugal.

George I'm one of the people you can't understand ..... we are going to Florida next August (2013) and we booked the holiday April 2012! We last went there in 2010 and again booked that far ahead. The reason being that the bookings are taken up quickly and we always go for the same accomodation .... and next year we are also hoping to be offered the same room.

If we go to Europe, we usually book 6 months before.

I've never been to Portugal but it is somewhere I'd like to visit so I'll look forward to members' comments and suggestions about the country.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Hi George, Sheila and I once holidayed in the Algarve, I can't remember the name but it began with M and was to the east of Albufiera. Anyhow, we didn't reckon much to it as it was fairly flat and arid whereas we like lakes and mountains and greenery. Each to their taste !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Mags, to quote Paul Theroux, "Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going", and I've always aspired to be a traveller.

I've only been to Florida once - to Boca Raton (north of Miami), but I'd like to return and see the Keys, everglades and Cape Canaveral. We once went to the US, hired a Cadillac and drove across the northern states without booking anything other than our flights! Did all sorts of daft things in a whim - like taking a paddle boat trip on the Missisippi, a steamer across lake Michigan and hireing a light plane to go sight seeing.

It's all part of the adventure - who wants holidays to be predictable?
just pack up and go!
I've got an old school friend who lives in Nevada. I'd like to travel down Route 66 and visit him. Maybe some day.

Still, Dianne fancies seeing Portugal - possibly because she doesn't fancy Spain. Still, plenty of time organise things. Advance booking - No, I rarely book the basics more than a month in advance, and usually have little idea where I'm going when I get there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 04:21 PM

George it's nice to look forward to something on these cold dark days.

My Brother went to Portugal a few years ago and they enjoyed it. They tend to stay away from touristy spots .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 04:35 PM

George matey - can I recommend you to Cyprus (Paphos) - a truly delightful place and in Spring & Autumn is warm, not hot. Have a look at my profile and you'll see some of the photos I took of the hotel there. There is a large archeological site and museum and I'm sure you'd both love it there.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

28-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Lovely photos. We're always up for something new.
It's our 40th aniversary next year and in spite of the governments best efforts at ruining us financially, we'd like to try somewhere different for our hols.

I've looked at Sweden (I'd like to see Stockholm again) but it's expensive. I'd also like to go back to Finland, but there's not so much to do. Most likely alternative (at the minute) to Portugal would be Austria (Saltzburg / Vienna). But there's plenty of time to plan -we simply cannot contemplate booking too far in advance, it's not our style. We like the option to change our minds - again and again - and again!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 05:51 PM

I like to get my holidays booked before the new year starts, that way I can dream about it for a good 6 months.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

28-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Ah, but what happens if you change your mind? Can you cancel without penalty?
I've come to the conclusion that people either like to book ages in advance, or they (like me) like to keep options open and do everything last minute. I look forward to holidays too - I just don't know where they will be till I get there!!

I'll do my research over the winter and then change my mind in the spring.

We are definitely off to Germany at the end of Nov. I've just booked that.
Off to Mainz / Weisbaden / Frankfurt etc.. this time. We lived there years ago and go back occasionally. Hope the Xmas markets are as good as Hamburg's. We tried Munich one Xmas, but it was very disappointing.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Hi there, I'm new to the Forum today and came across this thread. The Algarve is a lovely place to visit, be it the Western Algarve with its rugged coastline and beautiful beaches or Eastern Algarve. We go to the Eastern side as there a fewer English tourists and stay near Tavira which is a lovely town with cobbled streets and a river running through. They call Tavira little Venice. The beaches are accessed via a short journey by boat (1 Euro return) and are some of the best in the world. Hire a car and other towns can be visited very easily as can Western Algarve via the toll road. Flights are only 2.50 hours from East Midlands and a visit in June or September is perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top