Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Tripadvisor reviews

I've been on Tripadvisor twice today looking at hotel reviews. The first time there was a scathingly critical review of a hotel, just posted, telling how an external staircase collapsed with two people on it and criticising the management and staff for not dealing with it properly.
This review had disappeared a few hours later.
Now I admit that I take most reviews with a pinch of salt, but I tend to read the middling ones with more interest as they seem to be more balanced. Interesting, though, how quickly a scathing review could be removed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Re: Tripadvisor reviews

I have mixed views about Trip Advisor, we have been to highly places well recommended restaurants only to find they were dreadful.

We went to one of them on my birthday this year, the tossed salad I ordered arrived on the same pate as my main course and covered in gravy yuk .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 05:42 AM

I contribute to Trip adviser and I always give my honest opinion but you must remember that even the best of places can have an off day. Also remember the old saying "One man's meat is another man's poison" - we all have different ideas of what's good and what's bad.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I contribute to Trip adviser and I always give my honest opinion but you must remember that even the best of places can have an off day. Also remember the old saying "One man's meat is another man's poison" - we all have different ideas of what's good and what's bad.
I contribute too Alan and yes I know 'the best places can have an off day' but my opinion is born out by other people to whom I have spoken.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 09:09 AM

I wasn't criticising Meg, I was simply pointing out that not everyone will get the same experience of an hotel or a restaurant. It's what the majority think that's important. Last spring we went to a guest house near Ross-on Wye which mainly had 5 stars on Trip Advisor. We genuinely had a bad experience there and only gave it 2 stars. Since then I've kept an eye on what people have said about it and, once more, they are giving it 4 or 5 stars. We must have been unlucky or we have different standards to others.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

04-08-2013, 09:30 AM

I wasn't criticising Meg, I was simply pointing out that not everyone will get the same experience of an hotel or a restaurant.
I didn't think you were Alan

It's what the majority think that's important. Last spring we went to a guest house near Ross-on Wye which mainly had 5 stars on Trip Advisor. We genuinely had a bad experience there and only gave it 2 stars. Since then I've kept an eye on what people have said about it and, once more, they are giving it 4 or 5 stars. We must have been unlucky or we have different standards to others.
I think it may be to do with standards Alan my neighbour had been to the same place and ended up leaving after the main course. A number of her work colleagues have had a similar bad experience.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 11:35 AM

I wasn't criticising Meg, I was simply pointing out that not everyone will get the same experience of an hotel or a restaurant. It's what the majority think that's important. Last spring we went to a guest house near Ross-on Wye which mainly had 5 stars on Trip Advisor. We genuinely had a bad experience there and only gave it 2 stars. Since then I've kept an eye on what people have said about it and, once more, they are giving it 4 or 5 stars. We must have been unlucky or we have different standards to others.
I think that is very much the case. Some people on Tripadvisor have little experience of travelling, some always go to big resorts, some prefer roughing it, some don't like foreign food and would rather have a Western approach...The list goes on and on. I also contribute a fair bit to reviews, but I often find that I give a lower rating than the majority. Which may be partly why I am more interested in the 3 and 4 star reviews than the 1 or 5 star reviews.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

04-08-2013, 11:37 AM

I am intrigued, though, to know how hotels can get reviews removed so easily.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

04-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I am intrigued, though, to know how hotels can get reviews removed so easily.
Ania could it have been removed for legal reasons in this instance because there was a damages claim pending?
Adverse comments are not usually removed are they?
Maybe try Googling the name of the town /hotel/ stair collapse to see if you can find any news details.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 02:06 PM

We always go to Trip Advisor looking at our holiday destinations after we've chosen and sometimes we look at restaurant reviews too but you really have to make your own mind up and filter out many of the comments because I've always found contradictions.

I don't think that genuine scathing reviews are actually removed but I do think that some people deliberately put bad reviews as a way of getting back for some imagined sleight by a restaurant or hotel or holiday destination.

If a review was removed I think it's possible that the review might have been exaggerated and the "target" objected to the unfairness of the reviewer.

I've put honest reviews of holiday hotels and restaurants too and even if there's been a criticism it still remains there but then I've never really had an experience that's been so bad that I've criticised strongly! stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top