Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Driving on holiday - do you overpack and take everything but the kitchen sink?

I always always ALWAYS overpack when I'm driving to a holiday destination (usually when caravanning)

Taken on this 4 night trip and not used:

2 books
2 computing magazines, still in subscriber address wrapper
Sunday's Mirror and magazines, plus MoS mags
puzzle book
a bag of vegetables
food - tin of baked beans, bacon, eggs, cereals, stuffing mix, small jars of jams and marmalades (used 1 only), marmite, 4 yorkshire puds, butter, several tins of soft drinks and several small bottles of same, several packets of crisps, bag of peanuts, 2 lemons, 2 limes, 1 orange
kitchenware - micro saucepan, oven dish, small tin dish, can opener, jar opener
one spare hand towel, 1 spare dishcloth, 1 washing up sponge (found on the last day, as couldn't work out where it was - so used rubber glove instead!)
thesaurus, as didn't use puzzle book
hot water bottle (enough heating there, but usually have been very cold in other vans)
electrical extension lead
a camping chair (no, the list hasn't finished yet!)
about 3 changes of tops
a pair of trousers (used 2)
a pair of shorts
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 06:41 PM

Re: Driving on holiday - do you overpack and take everything but the kitchen sink?

I'm just dishing up dinner so putting up post. Might think of some more.

Anybody else do this? Or is it just me???
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

13-09-2013, 06:45 PM

Re: Driving on holiday - do you overpack and take everything but the kitchen sink?

the contents of two toiletry bags (meds, spare bathroom stuff etc)
the contents of a bathroom box
about 4 toilet rolls
2 kitchen rolls
several soup sachets
several mini packs of biscuits (as found in a 99p shop)

TBC (most probably)
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 06:46 PM

We just take the essentials and it's not very often that we bring anything back unused.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Waiting at the end of our hall to be taken down to the car for our one week holiday is a large suitcase (mine) a large holdall (dogs) a small suitcase (my husband's) and I can guarantee I will use about half of mine and he will use all of his LOL
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

13-09-2013, 07:13 PM

a tin of pineapple
pate
an A4 pad of writing paper
some frozen peas

Remind me the next time I drive to a holiday, to UNDERpack. Please?
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 10:48 PM

I always over pack when going on holiday! It is a miracle my suspension lasted as long as it did with the amount I stuffed into the boot when the wife and I went away for a few weeks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 11:01 PM

Jazzi I am the same taking everything but the house
I have to have my favourite knife/ saute pan/coffee pot two cakes one chocolate one cherry and almond/gingerbread men and numerous meals for most days.
Even a small sewing kit in case anyone loses a button
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Yes, I would seriously overpack much to my husband's annoyance - he'd have one small case and I'd ram stuff into that as well (on the basis that as it's his, it doesn't count as mine ) - well, you don't know what you'll need so what's the point of leaving stuff behind!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

14-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Exactly!

(I have even remembered one or two more things I'd taken and not used, one being a backscratcher! My arms just cannot reach and I do get itchy. Oh, and did I mention nearly a dozen CDs?)

I always think I'm going to need every single item, and of course there are no supermarkets or shops in this country, are there?! Oooh, I think I may have forgotten the sewing kit this time round.

And though caravans have a full inventory of kitchen stuff, I take my own -frying pan and egg slice, micro saucepan, micro splatter guard plate, sharp knive, veg peeler, roasting tins. Unfortunately this time round I bought a portion of nice chips in the Chinese takeaway right next door, and they did me for two dinners, and even one breakfast (reheated for 2 meals), Then I cooked a bolog sauce and had spaghetti with that, and on Tuesday ate a big meal for lunch in a restaurant, probably having just toast that evening for my tablets, so didn't bother with all the vegetables I'd taken away.

My car felt very heavy with all that stuff. I even took my own duvet, which I used to put on the bed to lie on. They are usually a big uncomfy.

I can't do minimalist. It's not in my vocabulary. If I don't take all those things away with me, no matter for how many nights, I'd fret!!

I really think next time I will have to leave all that food behind, including the vegetables.

I wish...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top