Join for free
Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 09:20 AM

Re: Prince Phillip Retiring.

Would you swap places with them Muddy?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 09:26 AM

I don't believe in privileged positions based on nothing more than birth .
I believe in meritocracy
So in principle I would not .
Would I like to have an massive income and have a interesting first class life for myself and more importantly my family
Of course I would it's a no brainer.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 09:35 AM

Money doesn't make people happy, look at Diana's boys they lost their mum early and she didn't look happy either. None of them look deliriously happy to me, all seem duty driven and most people wouldn't want to swap with them.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't believe in privileged positions based on nothing more than birth .
I believe in meritocracy
So in principle I would not .
Would I like to have an massive income and have a interesting first class life .
Of course I would it's a no brainer.
As I suspected, just good old envy then. It appears that like UJ you begrudge them their wealth because you didn't have the same "accident of birth".

These people did not choose their accident of birth either, but have carried out a duty to the nation regardless of having no choice, have perpetuated respected traditions which are the envy of the world, and have generated billions of pounds for the nation in the way of investment and tourism.

It was not, I'm sure, the lives they would have chosen but nevertheless have conducted themselves impeccably for the last six decades in the service of the nation. We couldn't ask any more from anyone and yes, they deserve our thanks and respect for that and they certainly have mine. Personally I don't begrudge them a cent.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Well said Barry.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As I suspected, just good old envy then. It appears that like UJ you begrudge them their wealth because you didn't have the same "accident of birth".
No it's not envy
Thats the easy answer to awkward questions I am surprised at you Barry .

These people did not choose their accident of birth either, but have carried out a duty to the nation regardless of having no choice,
They have a choice they can stop at ANY TIME

.......have generated billions of pounds for the nation in the way of investment and tourism.
Well no they haven't .
The palaces have but not as much as the French places which get more tourists sans royals

It was not, I'm sure, the lives they would have chosen
But they did and they have !

but nevertheless have conducted themselves impeccably for the last six decades in the service of the nation. We couldn't ask any more from anyone and yes, they deserve our thanks and respect for that and they certainly have mine. Personally I don't begrudge them a cent.
The Queen has done well
The rest of her family are quite frankly nothing to write home about but they are one supposes slightly more interesting than Eastenders ones own British soap opera .
I do begrudge them it's grossly unfair for people on muminum wage to have to contribute by their taxes to the lifestyles of the mega rich .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-05-2017, 12:04 PM

They don't have any real choice look at what happens I they step out of line !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

09-05-2017, 12:08 PM

What ?
Tampax Charlie fornicating with his brother officier s wife for decades ?
Air miles Andy using public money to breeze around the world making dodgy deals ?
His wife flogging interviews with him for cash?

A fine example for the peasant classes
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

09-05-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No it's not envy
Thats the easy answer to awkward questions I am surprised at you Barry .

They have a choice they can stop at ANY TIME

Well no they haven't .
The palaces have but not as much as the French places which get more tourists sans royals

But they did and they have !

The Queen has done well
The rest of her family are quite frankly nothing to write home about but they are one supposes slightly more interesting than Eastenders ones own British soap opera .
I do begrudge them it's grossly unfair for people on muminum wage to have to contribute by their taxes to the lifestyles of the mega rich .
Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree then Muddy
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

09-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Indeed

Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top