Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 12:21 PM

Re: Lake District abandoned campsite shows 'sheer disrespect'

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Keezoy , I went to Adelade for a month to stay with friends and loved it so much . I kept saying there was absolutely no rubbish anywhere, the pavements were clean , bins outside homes , no loose bags and we drove around 4 thousand miles here and there and I never saw rubbish , not even lying by the roads I even tried to find bits with my eyes on our journeys . Amazing place

Edited to add , driving in the UK is shocking to see the dumped rubbish and litter in the hedges .
Adelaide is a particularly clean and tidy city yes. Perth and Fremantle are the same although it and Perth together are twice the size of Adelaide, sprawl like LA and differ a bit between areas in terms of general tidiness. Canberra and Hobart are similar. In the bigger cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane you see more rubbish and general grottiness in the more dense inner city neighbourhoods. But yes generally speaking there is zero tolerance for littering, dumping or abuse of any part of the environment. In the outback and the territory around places like Uluru and Kakadu you will be subject to both state and first nations law if you abuse the environment. Put it this way you wouldn't do it again.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There's a reason for that, of course. They don't have any yobs in Australia. It's a very British thing.

Of course there are yobs here. But it's a different kind of yob. Mostly you find them at the cricket or in the surf. Each beach has it's own surf culture and some of the surf gangs are no better than bikers. It is very tough and tribal. I grew up with it. But I think in a very general sense the violence doesn't seem to be at such a high level as often as it is in Britain. It doesn't get as vicious. These days the cricket is under very strict control. It's much better than it used to be.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 12:40 PM

That sort of thing is disgusting and completely unacceptable

However, you should distinguish between genuine backpackers who enjoy wild camping, and the people who leave that sort of mess - they're just yobs

Most backpackers would rightly be horrified by that sort of behaviour and condemn it completely
Backpackers and wild campers usually carry their gear themselves, in a rucsac; keep a low profile; and camp in remote areas or use small quiet campsites; and generally behave themselves, living by the principle of -
Take nothing but photographs; leave nothing but footprints

The sort of camping that leaves such a mess isn't wild camping, it's fly camping by yobs who drive to nice areas and leave them in a mess

I am a member of the Backpackers club; we have high standards and have earned a good reputation among farmers & landowners
We certainly would not tolerate that sort of behaviour by our members, and it is annoying that we are tarred with the same brush

www.backpackersclub.co.uk
keezoy
Australia

30-03-2021, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
That sort of thing is disgusting and completely unacceptable

However, you should distinguish between genuine backpackers who enjoy wild camping, and the people who leave that sort of mess - they're just yobs

Most backpackers would rightly be horrified by that sort of behaviour and condemn it completely
Backpackers and wild campers usually carry their gear themselves, in a rucsac; keep a low profile; and camp in remote areas or use small quiet campsites; and generally behave themselves, living by the principle of -
Take nothing but photographs; leave nothing but footprints

The sort of camping that leaves such a mess isn't wild camping, it's fly camping by yobs who drive to nice areas and leave them in a mess

I am a member of the Backpackers club; we have high standards and have earned a good reputation among farmers & landowners
We certainly would not tolerate that sort of behaviour by our members, and it is annoying that we are tarred with the same brush

www.backpackersclub.co.uk
It's your country, not mine. I am well aware of that and I have never camped in Britain. But there was a picture supplied with the post. The people that did that are what the post is about. If you backpack and camp while respecting everywhere you go and cleaning up after you well the post isn't about you. I don't see why you need to feel "tarred" with any brush. If you know you do the right thing well that's all that matters. Who cares what anyone else says?..And furthermore you would be very welcome in my country.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
It's your country, not mine. I am well aware of that and I have never camped in Britain. But there was a picture supplied with the post. The people that did that are what the post is about. If you backpack and camp while respecting everywhere you go and cleaning up after you well the post isn't about you. I don't see why you need to feel "tarred" with any brush. If you know you do the right thing well that's all that matters. Who cares what anyone else says?..And furthermore you would be very welcome in my country.
Yes, of course it isn't the fault of responsible campers and backpackers.
Just like the rubbish strewn down our road isn't down to us responsible residents.
Unfortunately, our road is a main thoroughfare from Wythenshawe to the centre of our village and local pubs (which are not open at the moment), so we all know who is responsible.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 01:56 PM

Nottingham yesterday, I despair do some people want us to be in lockdown forever ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56575135
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Nottingham yesterday, I despair do some people want us to be in lockdown forever ...

It is reported that the covidiots all came out because it was a nice sunny day.
Rain would keep them in, of course...
and water cannon.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

More mindless morons .....

Insp Paul Molloy said: "We would like to remind people that we are still only partly out of lockdown measures.Our officers are now engaging with people to ensure they are still sticking to the rules."

Why the police persist in "engaging" with hordes of morons is beyond me - one warning and then the water cannon - any resistance to be met with arrests .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-03-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
More mindless morons .....

Insp Paul Molloy said: "We would like to remind people that we are still only partly out of lockdown measures.Our officers are now engaging with people to ensure they are still sticking to the rules."

Why the police persist in "engaging" with hordes of morons is beyond me - one warning and then the water cannon - any resistance to be met with arrests .....
Exactly. Covidiots don't understand kind words.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 02:26 PM

It's a shame, but occasionally you see that kind of thing here, too.

When I was a kid, there was a national no littering campaign, as Keezoy mentioned. One of the most effective commercials and movements involved Native Americans. It was drilled in us kids that littering was a crime against the the good Earth.

Education was replaced with a national effort to round up volunteers to clean up after litterbugs, especially on highways where organizations and individuals can claim responsibility for the area and have a sign erected with their names.

There will always be people who have to be mommied and who are too dysfunctional to care.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top