Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 07:44 PM

The great Chip debate

Okay, how do you like/prepare your chips?

To start; to rinse, or not to rinse?

To blanch or not to blanch?

long and thin or short fat and chunky?

With or without skin? This of course depends on the spud used, which leads to -

Finally which spud?
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Re: The great Chip debate

don't like thin chips but other than that like any I cook with or without skins, but not white potatoes. Cypress best, then reds, just wish I could get them like a good chippy does, but then I'd be the size of a house instead of just a bungalow.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 08:33 PM

Aunt Bessies homestyle, fried instead of oven baked. Best chips ever! Given up real spuds, fingers won't peel em, also they're always hard inside when outside brown!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 09:07 PM

I long mine medium thick and long, not the real long skinny ones, or the fat chunky type and never with skin, although I like skin on new boiled potatoes along with a big dollop of Irish butter, the wife makes nice chips and the Family prefer hers to the chip shop. I think she uses 'Maris Pipers' because I often her her ordering a bag of 'Mars Pipers' as she calls them off the grocer, when he calls I'm always expecting a load of little green men with bagpipes to step out of his van.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Maris Piper are, for me, the best potato for pretty much anything. I like thick chips but stopped making my own years ago; now happy with McCain Homefries - especially the crinkle cut ones!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 09:18 PM

From the local drive through that has been opened, just half a mile from home.
Opened by my favourite chippy.
Our deep fat fryer was stashed away about three years ago.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 08:50 AM

I like to keep the skin if its nice m I cut then a few hours before eating and leave in water untill cooking to rinse off the starch I believe it makes for a more chip shop look to the chip , I then make sure the fat is real hot before putting chips in and make sure they are real brown before taking out. I prefer a white skin because the red skins give a fluffier chip hence allowing more oil in the chip.and I hate greasy chips .... then lots of salt and vinager and a dap of lime pickle to dip in
JustMe
Yorkshire, UK
JustMe is female  JustMe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 06:29 PM

I like my 'low fat' chips that I make since I've been on a healthy eating plan. I cut the spud into fattish chips then I spray them with spray oil and sprinkle on a generous amount of soy sauce and a little hot pepper sauce and mix them up. I then bake them in the oven, they might not sound nice but don't knock it till ya try it, my hubby and I love 'em and don't feel like we are missing out on chips! mmmm spicy chips
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 07:18 PM

I don't make traditional chips anymore only my version of oven Chips cooked with olive oil.

For good chips you need the right kind of potatoes (preferably King Edwards for me ) and beef dripping. They should be quite thickly cut/rinsed to remove excess starch/dried in a tea towel
and the fat needs to be the correct temperature.
First cook at a lower heat till cooked/crisp/pale.
Removed the chips and increase the heat then cook again until golden and crisp
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Ah Meg, a girl after me own heart as they say, although I use MP's (but as very similar to KE the result is not very different). 'Tis the 'double dip' that does the trick, results in lovely golden fluffy perfect chippies. I frequently do the first 'blanch' fry early in the day then the final hot cook just before serving.

Oh and Nobaggage, just a little piece of advice here, the vitamins and minerals present in vegetables are all water soluble, thus the longer they are in water the more of the good stuff leaches out, so in actuality, the hours your chips spend soaking in water, the less goodness remains, all they really need is a thorough rinse to remove the excess starch.

And Justme, reminds me of reading many decades ago (must have been many many 'cos it was by the chef from the Royal yacht) how the then young Princess Anne was on a low fat diet and he would make her 'his' chips, by first par-boiling spuds in a rich stock, removing and allowing to dry, then placing, on a heated tray and into a hot oven.

And I have just done something similar but using one of a range of sachets of sprinkle on seasonings expressly for tasty wedges now being sold in Tesco. There are three I have noticed but may be more, today am using a spicy cheesy one, scrumptious, but there is a garlic/herb one and a hot spicy one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top