Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Feeding Familiy For £10 per week?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/cou...155239687.html

It seems this has been given the thumbs up - to an extent but even if you doubled the portion size, that would still only come to £20 per week - anyone going to give it a try?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Re: Feeding Familiy For £10 per week?

No mainly because I have seen this before and tried it then, the portion sizes are small even for a child and everyone is hungry afterwards. Also it is cheating only costing the table spoon of this and that, if you have to buy the ingredient for the recipe that cost should be reflected in the meal.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 09:52 AM

I did wonder about it as, even with small portions, that sounds incredibly cheap. I doubt it takes into context where you live which could determine prices as well.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Am I missing something with this. If they are just talking about the main meal which I think would still be pushing it. How many men do you know who would be willing to have a meal that does not include meat of any sort.

What about cereals and milk for breakfast, bread to make a sandwich for lunch with a filling of course.

In this weather I like salads and those ingredients are not cheap and would far exceed the £10 per week.

Or if you are on limited income you would not have the luxury of fresh salad.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:02 AM

I can't see how a family with children (even with one child) could be fed adequately on £10 per week. She doesn't mention bread, milk, eggs or many of the quality protein foods that children need to ensure they grow healthily. I'm not sure how old her children are, but I wouldn't be giving my children "empty foods" like mushrooms and meals with wine in if I only had £10 per week to spend on food.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:04 AM

There's a young family living next to me who have 2 small children. Every day their main meal is a takeaway- heaven knows what it costs them to eat! Sheila and I have a fish shop bought fish about every 2 weeks (home made chips) and that costs £3.80 for one fish which is enough for the 2 of us. The reason we have that is because it's so fresh and delicious. I would think it's impossible for a family to eat healthily for £10.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
There's a young family living next to me who have 2 small children. Every day their main meal is a takeaway- heaven knows what it costs them to eat! Sheila and I have a fish shop bought fish about every 2 weeks (home made chips) and that costs £3.80 for one fish which is enough for the 2 of us. The reason we have that is because it's so fresh and delicious. I would think it's impossible for a family to eat healthily for £10.
Going slightly off point but I have to say Alan - nobody can cook fish like the chip does it! Gorgeous
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:45 AM

- NO WAY!!! - My stomach is my temple and I worship there 3 times a day. What she had in her bowls and on her plate wouldn't even fill the hollow in my tooth.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
- NO WAY!!! - My stomach is my temple and I worship there 3 times a day. What she had in her bowls and on her plate wouldn't even fill the hollow in my tooth.
Funny enough Joe I was thinking about you when I saw the measly helpings of soup, I knew you would make a comment.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Well all I can say it looks like a great way to lose a lot of weight in a hurry. Calorie intake must be way below what a body needs. Couple of months (weeks?) of that diet and you will be having to fork out for a complete new wardrobe. Hidden costs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top