Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So you've not made a great bowl of chilli? Or a lovely Bolognese to go with pasta? No pies? No soups? Not even a simple ratatouille? That's a real shame.

How does one "sweat" veg in water exactly? surely that's just boiling or blanching? What would be the point?
No chilli ever here food of the devil but you can make a reasonable bolognaise starting the base off in the microwave in water, add to the vegemince. Never made ratatouille either.

Pies and things yes but very occasionally these days, not good for a diabetic to have all those carbs.

Soups I make almost daily but again started in water.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 06:53 PM

I've looked at soup makers, and tbh I can't justify the cost, and I make soup twice a week, every week

My stock pot and a stick blender if required

I don't sit and watch my soup being made either, I get on with other things. Soup is made whilst I'm in the kitchen anyway cooking dinner

And yes,veg needs sweating off or roasting first
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 07:37 PM

In recent years I have said a big NO to any kitchen gadgets. I have saved myself a fortune and I'm no worse off.

I've made lovely soups for years and just use a big saucepan and a blender. I don't want any more gadgets cluttering up my kitchen.

Personally I wouldn't waste your money.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 07:45 PM

I use a stick blender and a saucepan for my soups too ....but I would like to get a new blender but havnt a clue which sort is the best to buy ...Id like to be able to blend fruit to make smooth drinks or add the blended fruit with yoghurts....
I dont have that many gadgets atm in the kitchen so a blender might be a good addition
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No chilli ever here food of the devil
What?! Seriously ?! It's just Bolognese with as much or as little cayenne pepper to suit taste !

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
but you can make a reasonable bolognaise starting the base off in the microwave in water
Ewwww! Microwave ?!! That's very sad imo.

There can't be any real flavour in that.

For all these things you really need to fry off onions and garlic and leeks if you're using them. It's the caramelisation process that creates the flavour. Without it all you have is drab boiled veg flavours.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Hi

Realist, you need to remember that not everyone is as fortunate as yourself.

We have many people , who, because of problems with their health, in particular arthritis, cannot do what you can.

They still want healthy foods.

It is very easy for them to buy frozen vegetables, put them in the machine and get a healthy meal.

They cannot peel the vegetables, or lift a pan.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
It is very easy for them to buy frozen vegetables, put them in the machine and get a healthy meal.

They cannot peel the vegetables, or lift a pan.
So how will they lift a kettle of water to fill the machine?
How will they lift the soup container out of the machine when it's ready?

C'mon Swim. Frying a few vegetables isn't hard even for someone with arthritis. Just keep them moving around the pan with a spatula.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:34 PM

What in the world is a soup maker? I'm intrigued.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
What in the world is a soup maker? I'm intrigued.
Linda, This is the soup maker l was thinking of buying but after looking at them in Costco. I changed my mind! I will stick to my pressure cooker or saucepan and use my 40+ year old Bamix to liquidise the soup!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2483.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2557  
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2017, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Linda, This is the soup maker l was thinking of buying but after looking at them in Costco. I changed my mind! I will stick to my pressure cooker or saucepan and use my 40+ year old Bamix to liquidise the soup!
Thanks for the info. But I'm with you. I think I'll just stick to my Dutch oven. Can't beat that for homemade soups.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top