Join for free
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 05:20 AM

RIP. Ric Ocasek of The Cars.

(He's not the singer but he did write it)
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Re: RIP. Ric Ocasek of The Cars.

Classic song Smithy I never followed the band though.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 09:22 AM

R.I.P. Ric. Very sad to hear. I was surprised how old he was when he died.
One of the great new-wave rock bands of the late 70's and eighties who were an integral part of the post-punk scene. Very 'Anglophile' in their sound, they were always one of my favourite acts of the time.

Here is The Cars' breakthrough hit (with Ocasek on lead vocals. Sadly, Benjamin Orr (who shared vocals also died in 2000):

They were also one of the first bands who really made their videos work for MTV. This is a classic clip:
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 09:33 AM

I loved the Cars music. In fact we used to play a few of their songs when I was in a band so his death comes as a shock to me. A strange looking fella but very talented. sadly, that's two gone now.

RIP Ric

Thanks for the music.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Loved this song and band. We lost Ben Orr (vocalist) a long time ago, but Ric Ocasek was brilliant, and I loved his style.
A brilliant band that only seemed to get recognition for their one song, and then went under the radar, but they were different and produced many which appealed to a different audience I think.

More sadness.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cL5-42Hg5E

He wrote this one to remember Ben Orr.
'Silver '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1QYxMjRnc
Annette
Germany
Annette is female  Annette has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
R.I.P. Ric. Very sad to hear. I was surprised how old he was when he died.
Yes, these sad occasions always make me think...we are not getting younger ourselves, are we?

The musicians of our youth are leaving us, and they will be sadly missed.

We can only hope their kind of music will be back, after all, the noises called music today are not my kind, to be honest.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top