Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Brian
New Member!
Blackpool
Brian is male 

06-01-2015, 12:12 AM

Back From Goa

Just had 3.5 weeks in Goa this december.

Visitor numbers well down this year, with Russian tourist numbers already down 40% ! (Russian tourists make up the largest number of tourists to Goa).
And from Jan 15th, 90 Russian charter planes to Goa have already been cancelled.

Most of the Russians are aged beween 20-30 y.o.
Whereas, I would say that most of the Brits that are in Goa are 50-70yo.

Many of the Brits book longstay 3-4-5 months (between nov-april).
Because they are longterm visitors they only pay between £150-£200 pm for a decent apartment.
Whereas I was having to pay between £17-£22 per night for similar accommodation, because I was considered short stay.

So, with even fewer Russian visitors expected next year, Goa might be a less expensive option for anyone looking for a bit of winter sunshine (30-35 degrees).

Restaurants & bars, very cheap btw.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:19 AM

Re: Back From Goa

Hope you enjoyed your holiday Brian

I work alongside a doctor who comes from Goa. Of course, he loves it and has so much to say about it. I saw it from his perspective and it's like a sea haven for them. A lot of their time is spent on the beach and swimming. They let themselves be taken away by the current, to wherever, then they walk back to their homes. I was impressed by this

A friend went for a two week holiday and also loved it. She said she felt as though she had taken a step back in time. It was idyllic.

So many beautiful places in the world to pay a visit to.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:22 AM

In the past I've heard good reports about Goa.

Is there plenty to do there Brian?

Have you any photos please?
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Hope you enjoyed your holiday Brian

I work alongside a doctor who comes from Goa. Of course, he loves it and has so much to say about it. I saw it from his perspective and it's like a sea haven for them. A lot of their time is spent on the beach and swimming. They let themselves be taken away by the current, to wherever, then they walk back to their homes. I was impressed by this

A friend went for a two week holiday and also loved it. She said she felt as though she had taken a step back in time. It was idyllic.

So many beautiful places in the world to pay a visit to.
From what you say Alice, it sounds very enticing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:26 AM

Sounds good Brian getting away from the cold for a bit
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 10:29 AM

We once had some friends who came from Goa when we were living in Kenya in the 1970's, they were living and working there too.
Eventually we left and came back to UK, and they left and went and settled in Canada, we lost touch after a while, so don't know if they stayed in Canada or left to go elsewhere.
Not been to Goa ourselves, always had the feeling that part of the World would be a good place to catch a funny tummy, OH doesn't like curry either.
Brian
New Member!
Blackpool
Brian is male 

06-01-2015, 11:59 AM

Thanks for your replies.

Diamond Lady - Yes, there are things to do if you like visiting waterfalls, elephant rides, seeing a bit of Indian culture and that kind of thing.
I hired a scooter for just £2 a day, and that was a good way of travelling around Goa. However, I wouldnt recommend this form of travel as it is considerably more dangerous than in the UK.
Virtually no-one wears helmets, you have to look out for the `sacred cows' (and people) who randomly stray onto the road, and the drivers themselves, who are erratic, to say the least.
Taxis can be very cheap though, if you negotiate a price beforehand.

To be honest most of the 50-70 y.o Brits tend to head for the beaches with their `beach shacks' which provide then with cheap food & drink and chance to chat with others.
No photos, im afraid.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't choose to visit a country like India, but have pondered on Goa, funnily enough.

But as Val asked, what about the food? Is there a choice of 'plain' for those of us who don't like it 'hot'?
Brian
New Member!
Blackpool
Brian is male 

06-01-2015, 12:12 PM

Yes, English & `continental' style food in virtually every restaurant.

I dont consider Goa the "real India" to be honest, as it is far more affluent than most parts of India, and geared towards western tourism.
Quite a bit dirty(litter) in places though.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire

06-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the information Brian. I would love to give it a go, but OH is a bit more conservative, so would need to show him plenty of videos of the area etc. There's sure to be some You Tube.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top