Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Re: Specsavers

Yeah ... 2 pairs of varifocals picked up from Specsavers ... trying them out now

Spooky ... feeling seasick
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Yeah ... 2 pairs of varifocals picked up from Specsavers ... trying them out now

Spooky ... feeling seasick
Varifocals take a while to get used to, Rachel ..... don't move your head too quickly until you feel comfortable with them.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=Rachel;655680]Yeah ... 2 pairs of varifocals picked up from Specsavers ... trying them out now
It took me about 2 weeks to get used to my first pair of varifocals but no trouble ever since.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=Alan Cooke;655687]
Originally Posted by Rachel ->
It took me about 2 weeks to get used to my first pair of varifocals but no trouble ever since.
It's odd Alan but I find it more difficult to wear both pairs at the same time.

Hmmmmm ... I often have problems with instructions
Beki
Edinburgh, Scotland
Beki is female  Beki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 09:39 PM

I have the same problem as Meg, short sighted in one eye & long sighted in the other. Until my recent eye test, in the last 20 years, I never paid less than £300 for spectacles & usually nearer to £400. After reading on a forum (I thought it was this one but obviously not) about Asda I booked my test there. We have free testing in Scotland so no charge for that. I have varifocals, titanium frames & the best/lightest quality lens for £99. The eye test was the best I have undergone as the optician gave me more information on my sight than I have ever had before. Previously I did go to independent opticians & chains. My future tests will definitely be at Asda. Try it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:20 PM

My mum would like to say thankyou to this forum..

I cant remember who posted the tip about Asda but I passed the info on to mum who has had an awful time in the past with specsavers who lost her frame, gave her the wrong lenses, then the lenses fell out of the frames as she tried on the glasses ..
She was desperate to find somewhere else she could afford to get some varifocals from..

With a little reservation she went to Asda and is over the moon with the kind service and extra help she got from them and she is now the proud owner of 2 pairs of varifocals she says they have all the bells and whistles on..

Shes a very happy lady!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

22-05-2015, 10:26 PM

That's great Cass

My Tesco's ones cost £10 and £15 (not complicted lenses) AND at that time they were doing their half price voucher thingie.
Think it was about 4 years ago.

Had my eyes tested at my local Optician, so I just gave them the prescription.
Never worn specs before
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:30 PM

I know one thing never try and buff your glasses by using a drill and abrasive liquid as it don't work.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=Mags;655676]It isn't anything to do with snobbery Steve I have paid over £400 for my glasses simply because I am short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other so I need full width varifocal lens which work out more expensive than the frames cost.

I go to Boots now, they took over my usual opticians, D & A.
I'm due for my two year check next month and I know I will definitely need stronger lens this time. To help with the cost I always ask optician if he will put my new prescription lens in my current glasses..... I can usually save £150-£200 that way.[/QUOTE]

I asked them to do that once Mags, but they told me it doesn't save much because it's the LENS'S that's the dearest bit, not the frames.
My frames are usually quite cheap, so they probably wouldn't last through many lens changes anyway.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

22-05-2015, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I know one thing never try and buff your glasses by using a drill and abrasive liquid as it don't work.
Good grief !!!
Who would be silly enough to do that ?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top