Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Re: Steampunk?... Of corset makes sense!

Someone asked on the British Steampunk fb page if people were over forty years old, dozens answered and of those I counted around seventy Steampunks over fifty, lots over sixty and a few over seventy. That's just a fraction of the Steampunks in the UK. All growing splendid instead of old!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Tess - 'style' is endless where age is concerned, you either have it or you don't
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 08:25 AM

A couple of weeks ago I got chatting to a Canadian, and this is the gist of our conversation.

As you may know, the word 'punk' was used in USA & Canada for years before it was made popular by punk rock. It meant someone of any age who was down the social order, doing menial jobs, or a layabout.
Then it became used especially for idle teenagers, yobs, and so on.

A 'Steam Punk' was the person who maintained the boilers and machinery in factories and steamships; the person who we would call in Britain a boilerman.
Presumably because he was usually dirty & oily, and spent most of his time down in the bowels he wasn't regarded very highly. Hence being known as a punk
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 09:53 AM

Obviously this person hasn't met any modern Steampunks or he/she wouldn't be so derogatory.
As far as we're concerned Steam is because we are interested in the Steam Age, the wonderful inventions that came about then, the lovely fashions etc. and the punk bit is associated with Punk Rock loosely but I would say denotes the modern interpretation of the era, ie. giving it a modern twist. I certainly don't know any greasey smelly people.
I wonder what they'd make of Teddy Boys?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

29-11-2015, 10:37 PM

Anyone who listens to BBC Women's hour is in for a treat on Monday 10-11 am.there's a talk by Emilly Ladybird about Steampunk!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2015, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Anyone who listens to BBC Women's hour is in for a treat on Monday 10-11 am.there's a talk by Emilly Ladybird about Steampunk!
Oh I will try to listen then
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2015, 02:39 AM

I think it's a fascinating style...don't understand it exactly but definitely an interesting look.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2015, 06:46 AM

Looks to be good fun, and a lot of work goes into the costumes. Must attract the photographers to come out in droves, like the Whitby Goth festivals.

Did think about joining up with re-enactors, have a bit skill with bows and swords. Sadly my bod has been falling to bits.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2015, 01:12 PM

BTW was listening to womens hour on the radio this morning, ( got to know what to enemy's up to) And they was a lady on talking about these Steampunk meets, quite interesting.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
BTW was listening to womens hour on the radio this morning, ( got to know what to enemy's up to) And they was a lady on talking about these Steampunk meets, quite interesting.
I listened too Nom Emma Ladybird I think she was called.
Very interesting and I now 'get' the whole concept of Steampunk and the connection to Lovelace and Babbage.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top