Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 08:27 PM

Re: Travel Insurance for Existing Medical Conditions.

Now I hadn't thought of that, but we usually take out annual insurance anyway.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Well when we leave the EU there won't be any EHIC, so no problem, just have to pay for insurance whenever you go across the Channel.
True SF, I too hadn't thought about that either, but whatever comes about if we decide to vote to leave the EU - so be it.
It does not however excuse the fact that Spain, as part of the EU, should not be charging fees to any EU citizen with an EHIC card. Mind you, it validates my claim that all other EU countries tend to obey EU rules to suit themselves without any punishment for breaking those rules !

I was reading an article in the DM about this very thing. The lady in question stated that whilst on holiday in Holland she was taken ill. She was asked to produce her EHIC card, which she did and was assured she would not be charged at all for any of the treatment she was being given.

She stated that 8 weeks after returning home she was shocked to receive a bill from the Dutch government demanding £560 pounds for the ambulance trip to the hospital!! Enclosed however there was also a covering letter informing her that if she sent a photocopy of her EHIC card this charge would be waived. She was relieved to do so. End of.

The same question was asked of our own NHS and whether payment asked for or chased for and the simple answer was NO. Is it any wonder our NHS is in such dire straits.

Ho Hum !!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
True SF, I too hadn't thought about that either, but whatever comes about if we decide to vote to leave the EU - so be it.
It does not however excuse the fact that Spain, as part of the EU, should not be charging fees to any EU citizen with an EHIC card. Mind you, it validates my claim that all other EU countries tend to obey EU rules to suit themselves without any punishment for breaking those rules !

I was reading an article in the DM about this very thing. The lady in question stated that whilst on holiday in Holland she was taken ill. She was asked to produce her EHIC card, which she did and was assured she would not be charged at all for any of the treatment she was being given.

She stated that 8 weeks after returning home she was shocked to receive a bill from the Dutch government demanding £560 pounds for the ambulance trip to the hospital!! Enclosed however there was also a covering letter informing her that if she sent a photocopy of her EHIC card this charge would be waived. She was relieved to do so. End of.

The same question was asked of our own NHS and whether payment asked for or chased for and the simple answer was NO. Is it any wonder our NHS is in such dire straits.

Ho Hum !!
Hi

Yes, we are idiots aren't we.

The other Countries do follow the rules and recover their costs from the NHS, but we do not recover costs from them.

Given the fact that we have in excess of a million EU workers here we are losing a fortune.

The EHIC only covers what the system in other Countries pays, so yes, you may have to pay for an ambulance, food and hotel costs, such as bedding, but then the residents of those countries do as well.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 09:36 PM

One thing I don't understand is why Brits who have moved to live in the EU can still use their British EHIC when on holiday abroad.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Can anybody recommend a good travel insurance company. last year I was on the phone about an hour answering questions about my health and hubby's. all I take is HRT but I had to tell them all about appointments, investigations etc that I'd had even though there was nothing wrong. I briefly had what the GP called benign positional something or other where you feel slightly dizzy when you get up. It lasted only weeks and needed no treatment or medication but the insurance guy had to note it.

I consider myself very healthy for my age so I don't get what all the fuss is about!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top