Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Re: Coconut oil

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just wondered if it's helping Judd ?

Incidentally I was told it's good to clean teeth with so I'm giving that a go, I have to say they feel as clean as when I use toothpaste and it's quite a refreshing taste, apparently my breath is ok too. I'll keep doing it until I know one way or another if it has any bad reactions and report back.
I have to say it is Julie, the redness is still there but there isn't as much scabbing and the `elephant` skin is a lot better too.

Don't like the idea of cleaning my teeth with it as it looks and feels like lard but you never know, I might give it a shot based on the results your guinea-pig trial.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 12:17 PM

That's brilliant Judd it took a while when I first started using it to get results but now slightest sign of a red patch or itch and out comes the coconut oil and I zap it before it gets a hold.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 12:15 AM

I looked up how to store this oil, because I wondered if it would go rancid if kept in a warm room. This is what I found:

How to Store Coconut Oil

1. Different Temperatures, Two Consistencies

Most oils work well when stored in a dark pantry or in the fridge, where they benefit from a cool temperature. However, coconut oil can be stored at room temperature without worries about it going bad. Just remember that where you store it determines the consistency. For instance, any coconut oil stored above 75°F will turn to liquid; while anything a bit less than 75°F will keep its consistency of jelly. You can store it in the fridge, but it will be very solid and hard – which is fine if you intend to melt it in a pan for cooking, but not a good thing if you are using it for a skin treatment.

2. Keep It Away From Sunlight

Even though you can store coconut oil at room temperature, you should always store it from direct sunlight which can compromise the quality. Kept in a too high room temperature, the coconut oil will go bad soon. So if you live in a tropical climate or experience a hot summer, take it to a cooler room like the pantry or even the fridge.

3. Store It Under a Constant Temperature

Remember that when it comes to how to store coconut oil, don't keep it in the bathroom – the fluctuation in temperature can make it go bad before its time. You also want to keep it at a constant temperature if possible, so don't store it in the fridge, then leave it on the counter for a few days, and go back and forth like this.

4. Use Clean Utensils

Finally, remember to use only very clean utensils when scooping coconut oil out of the container. Any bits of food or debris can cause the coconut oil to go moldy, which can cost you the entire jar.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 09:10 AM

I keep mine in the fridge in the summer as it gets too liquid then when it sets again goes grainy. But just use a teaspoon on the hard lump and it melts in your hands really quickly.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 11:28 PM

I have dyshidrotic excema/dermatitis on the palm of my left hand and my friend recommended me to use coconut oil,she has popped round and given me a small pot of it to use to try on my hand as Ive been struggling with it for yrs now,its going through a particularly bad patch right now with cracking and bleeding and extremely painful.....Ive been using the oil now for a couple of days and can honestly say its improving the feel of my hand already,its still got a way to go yet to impress me fully but first signs are very promising.
If it can help I will be very impressed as this has blighted my life for years ....the doctors only prescribed steroids /creams/lotions/potions......all which didnt touch it.
It smells lovely too fingers crossed it continues to improve!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-11-2016, 11:45 PM

I hope it does help you aysa that sounds very sore, it's amazing doctors don't recommend it as many people seem to see big improvements in skin conditions when they try it.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 11:50 PM

It is extremely painful Julie so this coconut oil has impressed me so far.
I agree ,I wonder why doctors dont recommend this kind of natural product ,its the same with shea butter also ,ive not tried the shea butter but Ive been reading very good reviews about it while ive been browsing online about my hand condition,so if the coconut oil doesnt resolve things then that will be my next route to go down
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-11-2016, 11:51 PM

Yes I heard good things about that too, I tried coconut oil first and it worked so never got round to trying that.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 12:01 AM

I brush the dogs teeth with coconut oil - never thought of using it on myself!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Do you have any good products you wouldn't be without ? Obviously on the cheap side as it's the money saving forum.
About the only product I can think of that I always have in the house is Woollie's Sorbolene. Cheap as chips (a few dollars only for 500ml) and the best thing ever for dry skin; definitely stops any itching. You can use it instead of soap though I don't.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top