Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 07:15 PM

9/11

Well its this week, does not seem that long ago yet in another way its seems years ago.
Almost in my memory now it is as if it were a TV programme does that make sense? maybe because even now it is difficult to comprehend that type of....(trying to find a word to describe it..and struggling) tragedy.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Re: 9/11

I remember coming home from work as it was unfolding, absolute disbelief, it doesn't seem real somehow, I couldn't watch the film that was on last night it seemed wrong to me to make a film about it for entertainment value.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 07:32 PM

My thoughts exactly....a bit like the programme that followed 9/11 millionaire widows....ghoulish and very bad taste.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 07:37 PM

I was making Katie's 1st Birthday cake that day ...... my SIL phoned and told me to turn the TV on quick. I wondered what on earth he was on about but when I saw it I was in utter disbelief as to how something as horrific as that could happen.

My heart goes out to all the relatives of those who lost their lives on that tragic day...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Didn't watch the film either last night-just didn't seem right. Its a date I'll always remember along with those who lost their lives and their families and friends
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 08:20 PM

I still think of that day with a mixture of horror and disbelief. The early pictures will stay with me forever. Impossible to imagine how people must have felt and I so agree that films/books etc made t omake money is just, somehow, not right. (but OH says what about all the war films)
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Calismum ->
I still think of that day with a mixture of horror and disbelief. The early pictures will stay with me forever. Impossible to imagine how people must have felt and I so agree that films/books etc made t omake money is just, somehow, not right. (but OH says what about all the war films)
My OH has just said the same, tonight is about telephone calls made from the towers, its too fresh and personal for my liking.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 08:47 PM

I can never forget those pictures; had slept late that day, turned the bedroom TV on as I was dressing and saw the towers....then later while I was waiting for the bus a neighbor came up and said a plane had just crashed into the Pentagon ...could not believe what I was hearing. The only comparable thing was Pearl Harbor, but that wasn't unfolding right before your eyes in your own house! A black day indeed ....
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 12:33 AM

It was on News24 just after it happened, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

You can still see the towers in some movies made prior to 9/11, I often wonder why the Americans never rebuilt them higher than the originals as an act of defiance against the perpetrators.
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 02:09 PM

It's my wedding anniversary on that day

But I agree, making a programme about the recordings of voicemails left by those now deceased seem horribly voyeuristic and macabre . . . I didn't, and wouldn't, watch it.

We did watch the horror unfold on a TV at work at the time . . . when someone first said a plane had crashed into the WTC I kind of envisaged a light aircraft not what actually happened. I was at the time liaising with a carrier bag supplier on the outskirts of NY and I couldn't get a phone connection to her for a couple of days!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top