Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 08:11 PM

What's in a name?

The annual report on most popular children's names has just been published Link to story
Aren't you glad it's only pets you might have responsibility for naming? What a responsibility! Get it wrong and the poor child is marked for life! Callum and Courtenay are naughty, Alexander and Hannah are good - oh dear.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Re: What's in a name?

Very interesting, DM, It does surprise me that the most popular names are different from ours here in the States, both English speaking countries. Thought I'd post this to compare:

Girls Names Boys Names
1 Sophia Aiden
2 Isabella Ethan
3 Emma Jacob
4 Madison Jayden
5 Ava Caden
6 Addison Noah
7 Hailey Jackson
8 Emily Jack
9 Kaitlyn Logan
10 Olivia Matthew

Jack is way down here!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Its funny how names are controlled by fashion.....I am Patricia, do not hear of any new babies being called that!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Lots of names you never hear anymore: Gertrude (my Mom's name), Earl, Myrtle, Opal. Leon ...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:47 PM

My dad's name was Haydn and I know of 3 youngsters here by that name.....
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Lots of names you never hear anymore: Gertrude (my Mom's name), Earl, Myrtle, Opal. Leon ...
I like Opal....
My grannys name was Eliza, not a name I have heard for years...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

08-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Pearl is another one you never hear now .....
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 10:17 PM

I specifically chose my boys' names so as not to reflect current fashion but also to be 'classic' and slight different without being wacky. Dominik is the Polish spelling of the name usually ending in a 'c' and Sebastian is in all honesty still a mystery because Sebi was destined to be Fredryk (Freddie) if blonde - which he is . . . or Nicholas (Nico) if he was dark.

Dominik is actually rarer than Sebastian as a name in my experience as one girl at school has an older brother by that name and I've come across several locally in a similar age range!!

If I'd had a girl she would have been Allegra, Luiza, or Miranda.

Mags - Haydn is a beautiful name and so exotic.
Pat - Eliza is a lovely name too. My middle name's Elizabeth and I really wanted to be nicknamed Eliza as my forename was a horror for me at primary school.
Eileen - several of the names you mention in your list were very popular some 6 years ago here when I was researching Dominik's name - especially Jayden, Noah, Maddison and Ethan!!
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 09:17 AM

I remember being upset about my name when I started school. The teacher asked us who we were named after. Everyone else seemed to have relatives with the same name or know why their names were chosen. Then she asked us for middle names and of course I don't have one. So my son has both grandfathers' names,Henry Robert. Silly isn't it how some things stick with you?

This caught my eye too the other day. I always associate Darren and Gary with trouble, but that's because of the ones I've met.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8243684.stm
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Working with kids (and having to keep records) the names I can`t bear are the ones with made-up spelling. Like Aarren. Or Cayti.
Some kids you just feel sorry for...
like the mousy child called Scarlett
the plain brown haired girl called Ginger
and the plump pink-cheeked blonde child called Ebony.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top