Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 09:32 PM

Re: What's in a name?

Originally Posted by merz ->
My sister would definitely disagree with you-she hates the name and often says why wasn't one of us called it and that we had a lucky escape
She's lucky she wasn't lumbered with Yolanta (AND with an 11-letter Polish surname with Zeds in it ). I was nearly christened Cristina . . . but as it was after an old girlfriend of my Dad's my Mum point-blank refused. Shame.

I was 11 when Star Wars came out . . . Yola = yoda. Then as the kids got older it was Lola (as in the Kinks song), especially when they realised what the song was actually about - and I was never a 'girlie' girly . . . more of a tomboy. They had a field day. Before that it was all just unpronouncable and a source of mirth for everyone including the teachers!!!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 09:35 PM

My oldest sister is Josephine which she hates, called her Jo for years...
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yola ->
She's lucky she wasn't lumbered with Yolanta (AND with an 11-letter Polish surname with Zeds in it ). I was nearly christened Cristina . . . but as it was after an old girlfriend of my Dad's my Mum point-blank refused. Shame.

I was 11 when Star Wars came out . . . Yola = yoda. Then as the kids got older it was Lola (as in the Kinks song), especially when they realised what the song was actually about - and I was never a 'girlie' girly . . . more of a tomboy. They had a field day. Before that it was all just unpronouncable and a source of mirth for everyone including the teachers!!!
I like Yola, its different...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 09:58 PM

I do too, it's different, but nice different. When I was in primary school used to be mocked with "I lean on a telephone pole", "I lean one way you lean the other". Hated it.
joy
New Member!
Somerset, UK
joy is female 

16-09-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Very interesting, DM, It does surprise me that the most popular names are different from ours here in the States, both English speaking countries. Thought I'd post this to compare:

Girls Names Boys Names
1 Sophia Aiden
2 Isabella Ethan
3 Emma Jacob
4 Madison Jayden
5 Ava Caden
6 Addison Noah
7 Hailey Jackson
8 Emily Jack
9 Kaitlyn Logan
10 Olivia Matthew

Jack is way down here!
From Joy - my late husband was christened Valentine just because he was born on St. Valentine's Day - poor devil. Was teased to death when he was a child at school.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2009, 02:51 AM

What a awful thing to name a boy child!

Shirley and Evelyn are definitely female names here; and then there's the Marion and Marian thing ..
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2009, 07:33 AM

I'm also amazed that parents don't consider the abbreviated christian names --like Humphrey is bound to end up as Humph!
Also initials --we had a guy at school who was William Charles [i.e WC] --so he went thro school known as 'Boggy'
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2009, 08:38 PM

There is a Geoffrey Christmas who became a priest
(Father.....)
and I knew a P. Green.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
There is a Geoffrey Christmas who became a priest
(Father.....)
and I knew a P. Green.
There was a girl in my class called Therese Green........poor girl
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

18-09-2009, 02:54 AM

Hollis is another of those gender unspecific names: have known both a male and a female Hollis!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top