Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 03:42 AM

Re: English Is A Crazy Language!

Brit? Or did you mean brick? Engrish really is amazing/crazy.
Cherie B
Oxfordshire
Cherie B is female  Cherie B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Love it Cherie.... But I'm not going to comment and show myself up for the reprobate that I am....
Hi again OldGreyFox and thank you, first of all for accepting my friend's request, and secondly,for replying twice to this thread.

It's funny that most of us speak English all the time but never really think about the composition of the words that we use, and a lot of them certainly can be described at quite 'barmy'.I'm glad that you enjoyed reading about them as much as I did.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cherie B ->
Hi again OldGreyFox and thank you, first of all for accepting my friend's request, and secondly,for replying twice to this thread.

It's funny that most of us speak English all the time but never really think about the composition of the words that we use, and a lot of them certainly can be described at quite 'barmy'.I'm glad that you enjoyed reading about them as much as I did.
No problem Cherie, I've enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to reading more of you.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 10:17 PM

My Cherie Bmour.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cherie B ->
Ah 'Barmy' probably derived from the first loonybin situated in Barming in Kent in the 19th century (I think).

Then there is 'Cretin' derived from Christian for obvious reasons
Cherie B
Oxfordshire
Cherie B is female  Cherie B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 09:34 PM

Hi there Bruce, your talking about Barming reminded me of another saying about "barmy" people - "He's one stop short of East Ham" which is "Barking!" (Of course we're talking Tube Stations here!)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top