Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Re: Football Rant

Will do tomorrow Uncle Joe , Joe is watching TV. Thankyou.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Why remove yourself from membership Hammer, what for? You like football and that is your perogative, I also like to follow football and have done since childhood and if anybody really detests the game then why bring it up in the first place? Just something to write about I suppose I haven't had a lot of time to post in recent weeks but I will be posting in the football section every week if I can. For people who grumble about this programme and that programme hogging the tv channels, don't they have a remote control with channel buttons or if that doesn't suit them try the on/off switch! Let's not start grizzling about each others programme preferences, there's plenty more subjects to get grumpy about, surely.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bob.b ->
Why remove yourself from membership Hammer, what for? You like football and that is your perogative, I also like to follow football and have done since childhood and if anybody really detests the game then why bring it up in the first place? Just something to write about I suppose I haven't had a lot of time to post in recent weeks but I will be posting in the football section every week if I can. For people who grumble about this programme and that programme hogging the tv channels, don't they have a remote control with channel buttons or if that doesn't suit them try the on/off switch! Let's not start grizzling about each others programme preferences, there's plenty more subjects to get grumpy about, surely.
Thanks for that Bob, it is appreciated, you really make the point succinctly but as usual I made verbosity into an art form.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 07:30 AM

But that is the point Bob matey, those of us who don't like football have it shoved down our throat on all major channels of the television with nothing else to watch as an alternative. The BBC is particularly guilty of this. As an example, during Wimbledon earlier this year BOTH terrestrial channels carried tennis matches and the other two alternative channels (BBC 3 and 4) broadcast a 'pop' festival. We too pay our licence fee and we're being poorly served by the Television broadcasters.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
But that is the point Bob matey, those of us who don't like football have it shoved down our throat on all major channels of the television with nothing else to watch as an alternative. The BBC is particularly guilty of this. As an example, during Wimbledon earlier this year BOTH terrestrial channels carried tennis matches and the other two alternative channels (BBC 3 and 4) broadcast a 'pop' festival. We too pay our licence fee and we're being poorly served by the Television broadcasters.
Then surely the argument is with the program planners and not the sport!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
The same could be said of the soaps which I can't stand and sometimes it is hard to avoid them particularly between 7pm and 8pm which is prime time viewing. Thankfully I have cable so there is more choice but not everybody is prepared to pay for this. I would far rather watch people participate in any sport than badly written and acted storylines but lots of people will disagree with me there as well. Each to their own thats what I say.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 07:26 PM

A nice selection of postings and of course, as Dog Lover says, it all boils down to personal likes or dislikes. Nice to be able to debate in a reasonable way and not castigate each other for our personal opinions, long may this atmosphere reign and to each and all of you may I say "enjoy your programmes, whatever the choice"
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 07:44 PM

I have one of those Record Boxes and I have it set up about a Week ahead to record what we want to watch. Then we watch when we feel like it.....no problems then lol.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

08-08-2011, 08:19 PM

That's one way Roxy Mind you with all the tv channels on freeview these days even the most discerning viewer should find something to suit, unless of course he/she is on the sofa 24/7
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
it is not the most popular sport in Britain as some would have you believe . . . Angling is . . . . could you hear the furore if us fishermen carried on like the football fraternity . . . . and anglers cost the local communites nothing.
Yes Denis you are right, in the words of Micheal Cain "not many people know that"

It's absolutely true fishing is the most popular and by quite a big margin I believe.

Just for the record I don't much like football, at our school we only played Rugby and I don't have time to watch that now either.

The sad fact is that there is so much money in football these days that the publicity 'spin doctors' are constantly finding ways to get inside the heads of fans and 'manipulate' their pyschi in order to keep their loyalty and cravings going.

And the even sadder fact is that all these millions of fans don't know they are being manipulated, that their cravings are being secretly feed by a diet controlled by some of the top spin doctors in the business.

As an investor what really amazes me is that foorball clubs are a disater zone from a shareholders point of view and yet we constantly see business men both in UK and abroad poor their money into them without a hope of a return which in their 'real lives' (i.e. running their companies) is something they would never do.

For many years now one of the things I look for in a company is any evidence the chairman or CEO owns, or has any share, in a football club, if they have then I avoid them like the plague

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top