Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Re: Would you return there?

It's an inteersting point whether it's a good thing to go back.

I think it may work if you go back regularly, so you note any changes as you go along and it's a gentle process. Leave it a few years and you may be in for a disappointment
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 09:51 AM

It is sad when someone we love leaves us, but they are never gone because of all the memories they leave behind, and the smiles they bring when you remember the little things.

As far as a place to return to I would always go back to Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria, this is where i met my husband, and we still enjoy holidays there, not been back for a couple of years as (dare i say it) money is tight, but we will again one day, and we still have the pictures to remember.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 01:29 PM

Sorry to hear about Mum Jenntwren but when a love one leaves for that better place we all have nostalgic memories of the happy times we spent with them.

It is alway in our minds to try to relive those memories but in actual fact we cant. Our loved one will not be with us and that makes a difference as to how you spend your time at the places you used to visit.

Dont get me wrong it is nice to return to old haunts and see what has changed, we did it a couple of months ago and the place had changed so much that we hardly recognised the place. I sugest that you use Google earth and go to stret level on it to wander around the place. It works quite well for towns and city's but it dont work for the country side and scenery.

Whatever you do enjoy it as though your loved one is seeing it again through you eyes and talk to them about the changes, that way it will be just like they are with you.

There is a saying, never return to your old haunts, you wont fit in.
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments & your memories of favourite places to go ... yes Antibrown ... Google earth is a good idea!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 08:12 AM

Jenny darlin' - my condolences on your sad loss, I too lost my Mother (Dragon - father's name was George - hence the diminuitive) in March this year so I know what you're going through and how you feel.

As to places to return to - there are quite a few, but some of the most memorable would be: Stary Smokovec in Slovakia, Budapest, Vienna, and the one I have only just returned from - Paphos in Cyprus.
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Thanks Uncle Joe ... love your mother's name! Sorry for your loss too.

We went to Austria & found Vienna stunning & we have friends who've just moved to Cyprus so we can visit Paphos & see what you liked there!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jennywren ->
Thanks Uncle Joe ... love your mother's name! Sorry for your loss too.

We went to Austria & found Vienna stunning & we have friends who've just moved to Cyprus so we can visit Paphos & see what you liked there!
Cathy darlin' - wasn't actually in Paphos but a big hotel 15 - 20 minutes to the west of Paphos at a place called Coral Bay. The village up the side of the mountain above Coral Bay is called Paya. The Hotel was named Ascos Coral Beach hotel. A truly beautiful place - really didn't want to come home!!!
Johnny
London
Johnny is male  Johnny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 04:43 PM

A few years ago I went back to Wellingborough for the first time since 1970. We used to go there a lot when I was a kid to stay with auntie Maud. Then she passed away and we never went back, so out of curiosity I returned.

Maybe it would have been better if I'd stayed at home. It had become no different from 99% of towns, with the ubiquitous pedestrianized town centre and same-old high street chain stores. I think back in 1970 the only chain stores on streets of Wellingborough were Boots the Chemist and Woolies !

Also, a park with a pond which I remember playing at when I was a kid had been replaced by a council office block and a Morrisons superstore. But at least the Golden Hind hotel was still there.
jennywren
South West, UK

16-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Sounds fab Uncle Joe ... how lovely does 'Coral Bay' sound??!!

Johnny ... it's such a shame when a well - loved place becomes the same as everywhere else but they all keep up with the times.
Maybe you should just have a drink in the Golden Hind & leave it at that?!
Milo
Cyprus
Milo is female  Milo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Cathy darlin' - wasn't actually in Paphos but a big hotel 15 - 20 minutes to the west of Paphos at a place called Coral Bay. The village up the side of the mountain above Coral Bay is called Paya. The Hotel was named Ascos Coral Beach hotel. A truly beautiful place - really didn't want to come home!!!
Coral Bay a lovely spot, we live approx two hours from there and I have to say our end of the island has the better beaches, our closest beach Konnos Bay not well known by tourists we keep it secret but it's a fab bay!

We came often to Cyprus from 1990 until 2006 when we moved here, it's not as easy to get flights to everywhere from here as it is from the UK, but with some effort we manage, even that has improved in five years. We flew to Singapore in March via Dubai, wonderful city would love to go again.

We live in Famagusta district very close to the British army base of Ayios Nicolaous in a red soil village ( one which grows those lovely Cyprus potatoes) called Vrysoulles ( pronounced very sou less) our nearest resort is Protaras which has Fig Tree Bay as it's beach, very pretty coastline.

We went to Paphos recently to watch a Car Rally we stopped on the way back at Aphrodites rock for a picnic. Very calming spot to picnic.

But I love travel so we have been many places that I won,t bore people with most with fond memories! We have a short break to Praque at Christmas, although we have to get on three different flights from here to achieve it, I hope it's worth all the hassle!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top