Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Re: Would you return there?

Originally Posted by Milo ->
Coral Bay a lovely spot, we live approx two hours from there and I have to say our end of the island has the better beaches, our closest beach Konnos Bay not well known by tourists we keep it secret but it's a fab bay!

We came often to Cyprus from 1990 until 2006 when we moved here, it's not as easy to get flights to everywhere from here as it is from the UK, but with some effort we manage, even that has improved in five years. We flew to Singapore in March via Dubai, wonderful city would love to go again.

We live in Famagusta district very close to the British army base of Ayios Nicolaous in a red soil village ( one which grows those lovely Cyprus potatoes) called Vrysoulles ( pronounced very sou less) our nearest resort is Protaras which has Fig Tree Bay as it's beach, very pretty coastline.

We went to Paphos recently to watch a Car Rally we stopped on the way back at Aphrodites rock for a picnic. Very calming spot to picnic.

But I love travel so we have been many places that I won,t bore people with most with fond memories! We have a short break to Praque at Christmas, although we have to get on three different flights from here to achieve it, I hope it's worth all the hassle!

Lyn darlin' - if you haven't been to Prague before - you'll love it!!! - its a beautiful city - honest. Gotta do the climb up to Hradci Castle and go shopping down Wenceslas Square. See if you can find the bar 'U Flecku' - they served a very dark beer there similar to Guinness.
Milo
Cyprus
Milo is female  Milo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for advice Joe

We are located near to Wenceslas Square I believe! I don,t need much excuse to seek out a bar and even less to go shopping, my nose takes me to both surprisingly easily
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 04:20 PM

We stayed in Protaras nine years ago, Lyn ....we stayed at the Ayios Elias Village and had a wonderful two weeks there. Cyprus is very pretty, especially in the Troodos Mountain area...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We stayed in Protaras nine years ago, Lyn ....we stayed at the Ayios Elias Village and had a wonderful two weeks there. Cyprus is very pretty, especially in the Troodos Mountain area...
Yes Mags - but very 'hairy' getting up there!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 06:07 PM

My late husband used to Ski in the Troodos Mountains, he lived in Cyprus for a while and loved it. I have never been there..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Mags - but very 'hairy' getting up there!!!
Uncle Joe, the secret is to look straight ahead ..... if you looked sideways out of the window you'd be a nervous wreck! How the coach drivers manipulate their coaches around the bends when going up those steep mountain roads is beyond me - it's a sheer drop on the right hand side!
Milo
Cyprus
Milo is female  Milo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Troodos Mountains are something else, in fact quite different than down on the coast, have stayed up there a few times now, once over Christmas at this hotel..

http://www.rodonhotel.com/v2/front-e...edia_571_2.gif

And here in one of the larger mountain villages Kakopetria

http://www.cymillhotel.com/troodos-hotels/gallery.html

We have last week driven up there purely for lunch, it takes approx 1.5 hours but worth it and so much cooler, we more often than not have lunch in a taverna in Pano Platres...

http://www.mlahanas.de/Cyprus/Geo/Platres.html
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

18-09-2011, 07:03 PM

That snowy pic is stunning Lyn ......what do the temperatures drop down to during the winter?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

18-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Uncle Joe, the secret is to look straight ahead ..... if you looked sideways out of the window you'd be a nervous wreck! How the coach drivers manipulate their coaches around the bends when going up those steep mountain roads is beyond me - it's a sheer drop on the right hand side!
Yes Mags darlin' - so I discovered - was sat right behind driver, so had a panoramic view of the road and watched driver steer coach BEYOND bend before turning - as I said before - somewhat 'hairy'!!!
Milo
Cyprus

19-09-2011, 10:22 AM

That snowy pic is stunning Lyn ......what do the temperatures drop down to during the winter?
These are supposedly the average temps but I would argue that in the hotter months at least 5 degrees more! And by that I mean average. When I travel up the Troodos from the Coast the gauge in the car usually drops around 10 degrees.

The winter is mild but once the sun drops very cold inside so heating needed. We have experienced -2 once here in February! The rains start between late December and end usually Feb early March although odd days before and after will occur. Troodos snows high up can be seen down here, it's
not unknown for some to swim in the sea then go unto the mountains to ski the snow can fall quickly and heavily and block the roads high up, the Police always stop people going up as they constantly get stuck, not being used to the conditions, those who live in the Troodos sometimes come down to live on the coast for the Winter.

Like middle eastern climates though, when it rains it batters down and quickly floods! When it blows, we can experience tornados! When the sun shines it's very hot night and day! We actually get hailstones in the Winter! The sky turns strange and eerie when thunder strikes, the house shakes and it's reinforced concrete! You might wonder why I live here! You do get used to it, just like the odd snake in the garden, it's part of the rich culture of life.

Month Average Temperature

January 16°C
February 16°C
March 18°C
April 23°C
May 28°C
June 32°C
July 32°C
August 33°C
September 32°C
October 28°C
November 23°C
December 19°C

Night in the Winter can drop to 3 or 4 but average around 6- 8

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top