Join for free
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Re: Brexiteer or Remainer? Give us your reasons!

Leaver, because having left uk in 1976 due to unions
interference in politics at that time mainly, because up untill
then things for working class people were improving every
year, But union activity was interfering with me carrying out
my job in the engineering field, so l emigrated! UK had not
Iong joined the common market then so l missed all the
changes that took place for the next 37yrs! Allthough l
heard about all the factory closures and redundancies that
were taking place over here l never saw the scale of them!
When l returned 37yrs later, just before the referendum, l
realised what had been going on, the roads were full of large
trucks, train travel had become expensive, the roads and
pavements were in need of repair, housing was unaffordable
for working people, our fishing industry had been decimated,
plus all the so called tech revolution had taken place, so
returning from a third world country to a supposedly first
world country l was quite disappointed to say the least!
since returning l have had time to assess what went wrong!
And though most of of our problems imo were caused by
our our own successive government policies! Not by being
a member of eu per se, but because the people advocating
membership of eu failed to drive a hard enough bargain on
taking up membership and gave too much away in their zeal
to join! It would appear that the only way to correct these
initial errors is to leave as to stay in would mean the continual
decline of uk!

Regards Donkeyman!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 04:48 PM

I am too weary of the subject to go into detail yet again about my reasons for voting to leave the EU , so here are just a couple of reasons..
I voted not to remain in the Common Market in 1975 soon after Heath took us in, my Uncle who was a Farmer predicted what was likely to happen to Farming and was proved right when butter, sugar grain mountains and a wine lake appeared...
A bit about just one of those , The butter mountain...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_mountain

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/81...taxpayers-236m

EU imposed fishing quotas which did no favours for our fishing industry they were based mainly on what we used to fish in certain areas before joining the EU ..At that time we fished a lot around Iceland so when we were prevented from doing so our quota to fish in EU waters was comparatively small . We had no control at all over what we could and couldn't catch in our waters .

Then there is the farce of paying for the EU travelling circus
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...dent-says.html

I object to paying two masters, it is like part of the money I have paid in tax is given over to a third party and they decide how it should be spent and take a big cut to fund their bureaucracy while doing so . Ok I get that we have to contribute a fee to belong to a market but what is paid for that 'privilege' has got way out of hand.
I want my own government to decide what my taxes will be spent on and if I am not happy with that I will tell my MP and vote her out at the next election.
I want the setting of laws by parliament to continue that way I don't want them set by some EU court over which our parliament has no control.

It is clear to me the way the EU is heading , federal states governed by the EU with a large part of our taxes going there, the Euro having to be adopted as our currency, a European Army making sure we comply with the wishes of the EU . NO THANk YOU !

I want to take back control of our fishing/farming/laws/taxes I could go on all day but that will have to do..

There is no doubt that leaving the EU will bring problems and difficulties, it may take some years for things to become stable but I am sure they will in time .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The mess we have now is because the Remain voters wouldn't accept the results of the referendum and have consequently done all that they can to subvert that vote. The duplicitous MPs who said they would honour the outcome have also reneged on their promises with a determined effort to keep us in ably abetted by a `Remainer` PM who just accepted some terms given to her by the EU, terms that could never be agreed upon no matter which side of the Leave/Remain camp parliament was.

In my opinion, as soon as the result was announced, steps should have been taken to remove us from that corrupt organisation within a month - no payment, no deal, no nothing. As soon as we were out, proper trade alliances and agreements could have been forged without the interference of EU bureaucracy.
But that's all part of the shambles. The polarisation of the country and our politics. Bad decisions by our politicians (this should have been a given if you look at their past performance). Poor planning (or no planning). I just thought it would be complex and expensive to unpick all the current arrangements and I can't bear to see waste when it's so difficult for so many to keep businesses going and families fed. I saw this exercise as a waste. But the shambles about NI totally surpassed anything. Now that's not a leave/remain issue. It's a political hot potato.

There are also plenty of leave supporters who don't agree with other leave supporters (e.g. Boris Vs Nigel just this weekend). I've seen it on this forum too and those who disagree with no deal are accused of being closet remainiacs.

It's all a bit like "fifty shades of Brexit" for masochists.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The mess we have now is because the Remain voters wouldn't accept the results of the referendum and have consequently done all that they can to subvert that vote. The duplicitous MPs who said they would honour the outcome have also reneged on their promises with a determined effort to keep us in ably abetted by a `Remainer` PM who just accepted some terms given to her by the EU, terms that could never be agreed upon no matter which side of the Leave/Remain camp parliament was.

In my opinion, as soon as the result was announced, steps should have been taken to remove us from that corrupt organisation within a month - no payment, no deal, no nothing. As soon as we were out, proper trade alliances and agreements could have been forged without the interference of EU bureaucracy.
Absolutely Judd, people go on about 'the damage' leaving with 'no deal' (there isn't such a thing the EU agreed temporary mini deals last year if we left without signing a main deal ) would do totally ignoring the fact that indecision is slowly damaging the economy.

Had we left 3 years ago any difficulties experienced by us leaving would be sorted or well on to it by now.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 10:05 PM

Just don't like Globalization, it is a logical conclusion, but, logic ain't the be and end all.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Just don't like Globalization, it is a logical conclusion, but, logic ain't the be and end all.
Yet globalisation is why we are sitting here on the WWW. We take a lot for granted.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 10:27 PM

Partially why, granted, but the mainstay who support this platform can return to a street, where time has not touched the social characteristic of an environment, experienced as a child, others have witnessed much social change, in pursuance of this coming together.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But that's all part of the shambles. The polarisation of the country and our politics. Bad decisions by our politicians (this should have been a given if you look at their past performance). Poor planning (or no planning). I just thought it would be complex and expensive to unpick all the current arrangements and I can't bear to see waste when it's so difficult for so many to keep businesses going and families fed. I saw this exercise as a waste. But the shambles about NI totally surpassed anything. Now that's not a leave/remain issue. It's a political hot potato.

There are also plenty of leave supporters who don't agree with other leave supporters (e.g. Boris Vs Nigel just this weekend). I've seen it on this forum too and those who disagree with no deal are accused of being closet remainiacs.

It's all a bit like "fifty shades of Brexit" for masochists.
So you are saying if something seems difficult we simply don't do it.

Glad our ancestors didn't have your attitude because we'd still be living in caves!!

Ireland is only a difficult subject because Varadker wants to be Johnny Big Bollox in front of his new gang and the EU are happy for him to play The Fool!
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 08:43 AM

We’ve been through all this before but I’d like to remind the more right wing leavers of a few points:-

-The British Empire is over as is the notion of Splendid Isolation.
-WW2 is over. A justified war to free Europe and the World from Fascism and other far right Dictatorships
-you seem to be anti German and anti French and fear their domination yet voted to leave them to it with no prescence at the table to rein them in. ( your world view, not mine)
- EU is backing its Ireland as it is a member of the EU.

More convinced than ever that there are those in England who are used to being the dominant nation in a Union and don’t like being a part of a larger Union in which they don’t get their own way all the time.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
We’ve been through all this before but I’d like to remind the more right wing leavers of a few points:-

-The British Empire is over as is the notion of Splendid Isolation.

Of course the British Empire is over - I haven't seen any leaver on here denying this. However, the remainers who mock us about and have such opposition to an Empire need to acknowledge that when the EU gets is army, it will become the Empire you oppose so much. What a bunch of hypocrites the remainers are !

-WW2 is over. A justified war to free Europe and the World from Fascism and other far right Dictatorships
-you seem to be anti German and anti French and fear their domination yet voted to leave them to it with no prescence at the table to rein them in. ( your world view, not mine)

The EU is dominated by France and Germany - its built around it. French agriculture and German manufacturing are the building blocks of the EU project and have been since the Coal and Steel Community that was formed just after the 2nd World War.

You are still under this illusion that the EU can be changed and controlled from within - it can't. Look at the number of national vetoes that have been reduced since the last 20 years or so and then have a good listen to Ursula Van de Leyens speech about "more QMV" - which means less national vetoes. Guess which countries have the most influence under QMV and guess who appointed her as Dear Leader when she wasn't even on the ballot ? Go look at the polls for the AfD in the Eastern German regions - Merkels CDU is in for a drubbing in the elections next month. The rise in the AfD (far right) are BECAUSE of the EU and its policies (with help from Merkel).

- EU is backing its Ireland as it is a member of the EU.
The EU is taking the opportunity to stop the UK leaving by threatening to destroy the Good Friday agreement and return Ireland to what it was like in the 1970's. Don't be fooled by the backstop - this is a power grab by Varadkar in cahoots with the EU to have the Republic having ultimate control over NI. When we enter the backstop, there is nothing to stop the EU handing control of Northern Ireland to the Republic because all of the UK will be a non-voting vassal state of the EU.

More convinced than ever that there are those in England who are used to being the dominant nation in a Union and don’t like being a part of a larger Union in which they don’t get their own way all the time.

Not true at all - leaving the EU restores sovereignty to the UK as whole not just England. You can't keep blaming Westminster for the failings of other governments such as the SNP.

Answers above...

I also don't agree that Brexit is party political. There are leavers and remainers on all sides of the political spectrum - over 1/3 (38%) voted leave in Scotland as well...

Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top