Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:13 AM

A pressing engagement

We have a single dessert apple tree in our garden that always produces an excellent crop, but far too many apples for our household to consume.
I have tried various methods of storage but to no avail, and give away a considerable amount each year, but still there is a dreadful waste of fruit.

So, this year I decided to invest in a fiendish device, and as a result I have so far produced 19 litres of pure, unadulterated apple juice. At some point I shall attempt to produce some zyder, well after all, I have adopted Zumerzet as my home.

The tree. I have no idea what type it is, just that it produces lovely sweet apples.

Phase 1, rough dicing, under the watchful eye of C-man.

Phase 2, pulping.

Phase 3, the big squeeze. Due to the torque required I had to screw the press to my workbench as my Lovely Cousin balked at the idea of having it bolted to her brand new stone worktops!

There, that should get your juices flowing!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 05:31 AM

Re: A pressing engagement

Good work, Fruitcake - I love cider and home made has to be good. Will you carbonate it or leave it still?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Great idea Fruitcake, such a travesty to waste such bounty...
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Good work, Fruitcake - I love cider and home made has to be good. Will you carbonate it or leave it still?
Well, I'll need to move it a bit …

I haven't got the rest of the stuff I will need to turn the juice into cider, but I will probably leave it still.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 09:15 AM

The apples look lovely FC

There are community apple pressing schemes starting up all over the country (and apples pressing services ) a great idea to use spare apples.
Drying apple rings is a good option too.

I am in an apple growing and cider making area, any day now large bags of apples will be arriving on my doorstep from neighbours and I will dry some...
https://www.gettystewart.com/how-to-...s-in-the-oven/
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

06-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The apples look lovely FC

There are community apple pressing schemes starting up all over the country (and apples pressing services ) a great idea to use spare apples.
Drying apple rings is a good option too.

I am in an apple growing and cider making area, any day now large bags of apples will be arriving on my doorstep from neighbours and I will dry some...
https://www.gettystewart.com/how-to-...s-in-the-oven/
Thanks for the link. I'll have a go at making some apple rings from my next pick.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top