Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 11:44 AM

Team GB

So it came to pass, as we all expected the very confident Brazillians gave our lads a slap on the wrist at The Stadium of light just to remind them of the task that faces them in trying to win a medal in the upcoming olympics, in fact I personally thought that the final scoreline of 2-0 to the South Americans was far less than most people I had been talking to expected. So hope yet and what a find we have in young goalkeeper Butland who came on for the second half, definitely a name to watch out for in the future!
Earlier in the day at the same venue, GB ladies drew with Sweden 0-0, didn't see much of that game but apparently they gave a good account of themselves against a very well organised team.
That's the friendlies over with, now for the serious stuff as the women of GB take on New Zealand at the Millenium Stadium next Wednesday afternoon and the men start on Thursday evening against Senegal at Old Trafford.
Good luck to both teams.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Re: Team GB

Not much interest in this thread as yet but at least the GB ladies have kicked off with a 1-0 win against New Zealand ladies, well done girls! Just hope that the men follow suit against Senegal.
I noticed that one Gareth Bale withdrew from the team GB squad because of an injured back and I have just seen him score a headed goal against LA Galaxy over in America, strange or what?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

25-07-2012, 10:41 PM

As you say Bob, a good start for the ladies team and from what I saw they should have beaten the Kiwi's by more than the one goal.

Many seem to have been caught out by playing the second verse of our Anthem which is going to be a feature throughout the games.

I suppose we can cope with that but hopefully there will be no more cock-ups like the start of the match between North Korea and Colombia which was delayed after the South Korea flag was incorrectly displayed on the big screen before kickoff at Hampden Park.

Regarding Bale, perhaps he is another Beckham supporter and was registering a protest. I see they are still banging on about that yet and have enlisted no lesser sporting luminary than someone called McCartney, whoever he is.

Onward
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

26-07-2012, 11:00 PM

A rather bruising encounter saw Team GB draw one apiece against the uncompromising team from Senegal. If anyone was in doubt as to the success ethic in this tournament, this match should have disposed of that worry.

Naive we might have been, badly served by the match officials certainly but I can see us getting better.

The refereeing travesty over the obvious penalty and probable red card aside I thought that a point each was a fair outcome. Micah Richards was immense and even though he had a momentary lapse of concentration which led to the equalizer he was still the best player on show.

We will do well to qualify from the groups but all in all Stuart Pearce should be pleased with the way it has gone.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Not seen any of that Bob, I am not a believer of womens football or Rugby,leave the mens games to the men and go and knit something.There is no way of putting this so here goes.... are the GB Team proper footballers or Amateurs, do we know them.You will have got my drift now... I am not an Olympics Fan.Not being rude.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

28-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Hi Annie, I must admit that I do not follow the ladies football games very closely so cannot tell you whether or not they are indeed professionals or Amateurs or maybe a mixture of both but the men's side is made up of professional players from Great Britain. Having said that, I thought that what I did see of the ladies game contained some very professional looking moves so there you go!
Yes Hammer, I too get heartily sick of people banging on about the Beckham incident but the newspapers love stirring it up and if they get the support of old has been celebrities then they are really made up. Just a point here, I do think that it is about time Sir Paul McCartney stopped trying to sing, he was awful at the olympics opening ceremony, I know he is aged 70 now but enough is enough!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Why oh why, did'nt they just leave it be at the end of the fireworks display? No, on comes bleeding McCartney, with probably the dirgiest tune in history, Hey Jude, sung with about as much feeling as an undertaker. Spoilt what was a most magnificent occasion. Did'nt see the first game GB played, probably out of apathy, but will make the effort, now my faith has been restored by that opening ceremony.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Post deleted, wrong place. Sorry a senior moment.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Why oh why, did'nt they just leave it be at the end of the fireworks display? No, on comes bleeding McCartney..
I agree but I won't go so far as to call him 'bleeding McCartney' because I think he was great in his day. Unfortunately, that time has gone. He is maybe asked to perform now out of respect for his past musical achievements. I forgive Paul's present voice quality for that reason. It has to be faced though, his voice has gone. Plenty he can still do in the music business but maybe not as a performer any more.

I thought the opening ceremony was great nonetheless.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Sorry but have never liked McCartney, always prefered John Lennon.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top