Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Re: Earth hour

Originally Posted by Graham ->
It sounds like a laudable cause, but in reality, it isn't going to achieve anything. You are not going to save the planet just by turning off lights and whatever, only by shutting down power plants and the 'national grid'. But how realistically possible is that?
It was originally an Aussie only idea which did start off as a genuine exercise in energy reduction. This year the theme is "switch to renewable energy"

On the other hand there are a lot who view it as tokenism. Take your pick.

The Opera House bathed in Green light generated from "renewable resources"
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 04:03 PM

I used to do it with my kids when they still lived at home. We fixed snacks, then played board games by candle light for the hour. It was more an event to increase their awareness than anything. Turn off the lights when you leave the room. Don't leave the computer and printer powered up all night. Don't leave the water running while you brush your teeth. We walked a lot rather than always hop in the car to run errands. Oh well... all pointless I suppose.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
This is how cut off from the world I am ...... I dont even know what it is ?
Neither do I Baggy I don't have newspapers and there was nothing about it on radio 4 news.

I only have one small energy saving light bulb on in the house at one time most of the time anyway . Electricity is too expensive to waste.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 04:56 PM

I have to admit I heard nothing about it, but a lot of folks over here are without power already due to the weather, it would be funny if it wasn't so serious, asking them to switch off for and hour.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 05:16 PM

It's been held in March for a few years now... awareness slowly growing but at best it's a token. I hope my kids are a bit more energy-conscious because I made the effort to do things like this with them.

Not that I'm ever likely to accomplish it, but I would love to have a snug little house, off the grid. Solar power for a minimum of things needing electricity. Maybe a wood stove. A garden to grow most of my food (and the stamina to keep it up, haha!) A cat to warm my lap. Books, books, books...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Not that I'm ever likely to accomplish it, but I would love to have a snug little house, off the grid. Solar power for a minimum of things needing electricity. Maybe a wood stove. A garden to grow most of my food (and the stamina to keep it up, haha!) A cat to warm my lap. Books, books, books...
It is getting a realistic possibility as panel prices come down, the lead acid batteries are the big killers. there are places in the bush that rely entirely on solar power by necessity and few enthusiasts in the big cities.

One of the problems is that the power system was not designed to cope with householders feeding power into the system so local voltages can get very high to the point they risk damaging equipment.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-03-2013, 12:26 PM

I always make sure we switch off lights and appliances if not in use. My husband gets irritated when I turn off the TV standby button, but there you go!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

25-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
One of the problems is that the power system was not designed to cope with householders feeding power into the system so local voltages can get very high to the point they risk damaging equipment.
I never thought of that. Interesting point.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top