Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 03:41 PM

Re: Freezer

I do keep my freezer full, but replace things as and when I use them. If I didn't do any 'freezer' shopping, for 4 weeks I would still be able to eat and eat well!!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 06:48 PM

I've got three freezers (but I don't need three). Two are frost free so never get defrosted. I like to think I am fairly organised with them. The one in the kitchen is for mixed day to day stuff and the two in the garage for bulk stuff which gradually ends up in the kitchen one. One freezer is for breads, veg. ice cream, fruit and the bigger one is for meat, fish, home made soup and foods for main meals. I would not normally have three freezers, but one large fridge/freezer I have inherited from my kids (couldn't bear to get rid of it and I bought it anyway - top half is full of beers/wine/fizzy pop, juices etc.). At the moment I am having a "run down" period and when I start to re-stock again I look for bargains and buy "extras".
My OH thinks I should leave it in the shop for the shops to look after, but he doesn't know a bargain when he sees one.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 06:55 PM

There's never much in my freezer to forget to eat or in the fridge come to think of it.
In fact there's never much in the way of food in my house, ever !
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 07:44 PM

It's a problem with chest freezers. You have to either empty it to put new stuff underneath or shove it on top! I'm afraid mine goes mostly on top then the underneath stuff gets forgotten!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:51 AM

Hello folks

Sorry not to have been on here for some considerable time, although I have popped on occasionally to read but, because of my long absence, I haven't had the nerve to return till now.

All subjects are interesting, but this one is especially close to my heart.

In January 2015 my old chest freezer broke down and I lost many pounds worth of food. I went out and bought a new one and swore I'd never stack it so full again, but I have done.

I'd never have an upright freezer because, I think, food can only be stored in them for about three months, although I may be wrong about that.

I am also guilty of stock-piling and, as I live alone, this is a stupid thing to do. Honestly, the food in my freezer would feed a family of five for about three months, if not longer so, why do we do it?

Truth is, I rarely buy frozen food so, what I make that is left over, is frozen for another time in one-meal containers. If I buy a cauliflower, it gets blanched, let to cool, then frozen. A chest freezer will keep food fresh for over a year, depending on the star rating, or so I believe.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 07:47 AM

Our old chest freezer broke down about a month ago, we've been managing pretty well with the upright freezer only. I think we've decided not to replace the chest. Don't buy as much frozen these days and not having the perennial problem of losing stuff in the deep deep depths is quite nice. Rarely thrown anything away if anything pops up not eaten in a while I cook it up and either feed the family or the dogs, someone eats it whatever it is.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I'd never have an upright freezer because, I think, food can only be stored in them for about three months, although I may be wrong about that.
You are indeed wrong about that Mollie. The storage time for any food is down to the individual produce.
Any freezer chest or upright with a temperature below -18 will keep food more or less indefinitely but this is not recommended as the quality deteriorates.
Food freezing chart https://www.fda.gov/downloads/food/f.../ucm109315.pdf

I pick damson/blackcurrant/plumbs and store them in my ancient upright Bosch fridge freezer for a year and they are still perfect after that time.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 10:49 AM

We don't keep anything in the freezer for too long. We have too freezers which we section off, my food and hubbies food. We have just recently tried to use everything up before stocking up again. This way nothing in there for too long.

My shelves are mostly Chicken and vegetables so you cannot go too far wrong there.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 01:07 PM

My downfall is that I'm a terror for buying freezer goods that are on offer. At the moment they have the Gastro Basa Fillets with Lemon and Herbs and also with Black Pepper and Herbs. Instead of the normal £4 each they have been on offer - 2 for £5. As we love the Gastro range of foods, how can I not buy these each week whilst they are still on offer??
My problem is that I now have 8 of the Gastro boxes taking up the room in my freezer drawer. He who must obey also loves the boxes of Greggs 4 Sausage rolls from Iceland at a great price so they too are taking up a lot of room, and food that I had previously bought gets overlooked when I am thinking of meals during the week.

Mind you, I am organised enough that when I open something from the freezer and only use some of it, I do put it back in a ziplock freezer bag with date on the front of original purchase. They are a lifesaver as I would otherwise be chucking food out all the time. It also saves putting the box back into the freezer, thereby saving space.

My quick freeze drawer is used for Bread and Rolls.
2nd drawer for anything in a packet
3rd drawer for anything in a box
4th drawer for ice-cream and desserts.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
My freezer is jammed packed with long forgotten food .
If it's not eaten the week it's purchased somehow it gets relegated to the unloved icy depths.
I just don't fancy it and go on to a new week new purchases .
Does anyone else suffer from freezer abuse?
Yes, I really should sort mine out, in the depths are long forgotten packets & boxes of food I'll never eat. Should never have got such a large chest freezer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top