Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 02:22 AM

Re: How do we know they are genuine.

I asked about it being put on the outside wall Carol and it will cost me a lot of money to have it done.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
about the problem of never really knowing who is genuine or not when they claim to be gas or electric meter readers etc.
Our electricity provider sends us a form every quarter and we put the meter reading on it and send it back, then we get the bill a week or so latter. Perhaps you could ask your supplier if they can do that.

Don't know if it works for gas as we don't have that unfortunately.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 10:48 PM

Thank you for all of your postings and advice.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 01:43 AM

When I worked for British Telecom I carried an ID card on me. The customer also had confirmation of when we would call with a job reference number.

One house I went to I knocked on the door and rightly so she asked for identification but would not open the door. She insisted I posted my ID card through the letter box which I was not prepared to do but willing to show her through a window which she saw.

I told her to look at the letter and ring the number on it ,which was my controllers number and actually quoted it to her to confirm who I was which she did.

Even then she was suspicious and refused to open the door to let me carry out the work she requested, so I posted a no access card through the letter box.
Not getting access I left In my nice big Yellow BT van.

Next thing I knew was she had complained to my boss that the appointment made was not kept, and said that no one had called.

You can't win them all

So even those who are there to do checks can be at risk as well. We had a black list of customers which required two engineers to visit due to previous unfounded allegations

The engineer does not know if he/she is going into a house with an unstable person and is also at risk
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 03:40 AM

I too, live alone, lass, and very rarely answer my door after dark. I send in my meter readings online but, on the very rare occasions that a meter reader knocks on my door, I make sure that his/her ID is genuine.

It's very sad, but people these days need to be vigilant but be aware that not all folk who call upon us are are for own good, so Maursey, you do right to be aware lass. Such a sad indictment of the times we live in.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
That's true Maursey who is real and who is fake? I don't think you can tell, you have to go with your own judgement. I just look at the hand held monitor and watch for them keying the numbers in that's all, and then copy the numbers down myself when they've gone, so i can match them up when i do get my reading through. That's the only way i can tell that he was a real Elec/Gas reader..
Soon they is going to be a Smart Reader coming out for Gas and Electricity, where you key your own reading into a hand held monitor and a signal is picked up at the main Company so no-one will be knocking at your door anymore. Which in my mind is a great idea as long as it works!
I've just had an email from OVO asking if we'd like smart meters so have booked for them to be fitted in two weeks time. From what I read, the readings are sent to them automatically so we don't need do anything.
maursey
hertfordshire

06-03-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I too, live alone, lass, and very rarely answer my door after dark. I send in my meter readings online but, on the very rare occasions that a meter reader knocks on my door, I make sure that his/her ID is genuine.

It's very sad, but people these days need to be vigilant but be aware that not all folk who call upon us are are for own good, so Maursey, you do right to be aware lass. Such a sad indictment of the times we live in.
Thank you Mollie. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that I'm not the only one who is wary on opening doors to strangers.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 10:28 AM

I'm with Ovo as well Val but no word of Smart Meters yet
I've just bought a CCTV camera. Quite impressive looking gadget. It's the ball type, I have it plugged in to the power but not the telephone line which I need to see anything on the computer screen. I came in last night and the camera which is sitting on the window sill meantime, had a circle of red light (night vision) and the green light which is always on. There is no way anyone would know that the camera is not connected up yet but it can be seen. It was only about £30 so not expensive if it gives peace of mind.

The reason I got it is because the flats I live in seldom had any trouble and it was usually older folks or people with very young families who lived in them. However when the housing boom came and property was being bought to let, not all landlords care as long as they get their rents. So I have just heard that one of our new neighbours is a drug dealer. Cars constantly drawing up, strange smells etc and although they are not in our block, they are too close for comfort. I thought it would be time to get a little deterrent and keep an eye on my property.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top