Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 10:17 PM

Drink More Coffee to Avoid Heart Attacks

Thought this might be of interest to all those Coffee drinkers out there......I'm strictly Tea though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/...rt-attack.html
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 10:33 PM

Re: Drink More Coffee to Avoid Heart Attacks

I had the odd coffee, but don't drink it at all now. I'm a tea jenny

Hope it's of benefit to all those coffee drinkers
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 10:49 PM

Read about it today, im testimony to the fact that it did not work for me Loads of black coffee no milk or sugar, still had a HA and a couple of near misses.

Think i will try pints of Brandy next.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 02:19 AM

Absolute rubbish. It's a well-known fact that coffee is a stimulant, as is chocolate, and has more caffeine than tea, and therefore the drinker becomes more activated and creates adrenalin, which makes the heart beat faster so they become tachycardic.

I wouldn't touch the stuff with a barge pole! My greatest intake is between 4/5 cups of tea per day. Never any more than that.

Apart from that, it does depend on the intake. Years ago, a friend drank coffee all through the day (about 10 cups a day!) but one day he had several cups of coffee, with two spoons of coffee in each cup. He was found over his desk having a seizure and it appeared that he'd overdosed on caffeine. Seriously.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Good news for many Robert I love good coffee but only drink two cups a day.
All things in moderation is my motto
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Meg,That is sensible coffee drinking, and if you enjoy the taste why not.
I've always found Tea more thirst quenching, so it is my preferred beverage.
I do take milk and one sugar though.

Mollie,I tend to agree with you though, but my main reasons are:- We are only getting half the story, the media print this stuff based on the actual report, but they have to big it up to get you to read it, and not all the facts are as they were in the study, some are even omitted; did they use Instant coffee? did they use decaff? Reports like this can do more damage than good if not fully understood. Not everyone has your apparent knowledge of the effects caused by drinking too much Coffee.

Nom, Sorry to hear about your HA's and hope you have recovered.
I also have suffered a couple of HA's but I don't drink much Coffee though, so maybe I should have.... I believe it has taken 64 years for the build up of plaques in my arteries that caused HA's, and as a smoker for 35 of them, it probably compounded the issue. Needless to say, after my first HA in 2004 I have not touched a cigarette since, but the damage lives on.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Robert good for you for managing to give up smoking, that must have been hard, and your fitness regime will be helping a lot.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 06:24 PM

My eldest son had a lot of stress the other year, with three children, his
wife pregnant again and a very intense job and being abroad trying to
make ends meet.
He actually came to London and had his eyes tested free because I have
Glaucoma and was told he could have it too although he was only 42.
He went back to France and told his Doctor who said are you drinking
a lot of coffee. He said Yes and this that and the other happening in my
life. So the Doc told him to cut out the coffee for a while, and if he took
it up again not to drink as much. He did this and was told 3 months
later he didn't have Glaucoma it was his coffee drinking.
So there you are, don't believe everything you read.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 10:36 PM

So I can drink more coffee and off set the news about paracetamol causing heart attacks and sudden death ? carry on like this and I may be immortal
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 10:52 PM

I should be o k then I drink at least 6 cups of Black coffee a day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top