Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Re: The young generation

I always find it incredibly sad when anyone thinks they need to spend like that usually means they are lacking something else in their lives IMO
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 04:19 AM

To my way of thinking, young folk today are totally encaptured by advertising and they feel they need to "keep up" with fashion and, to do that, they have to spend a great deal of money on relatively useless items.

Back in the 60s we wanted to keep up as well with mini skirts, hot pants, tall boots, etc and, back then we also wanted what was in fashion. BUT, we only could spend what we could afford and, if we couldn't afford it, we couldn't have it.

However, today, it is made far too easy for young people to get credit cards from banks which they more than likely don't understand and can't afford. So, who is to blame? The advertisers? The banks? Their parents? Themselves?

To me these are youngsters who have no grasp on what money means, except for purchasing things they actually don't need, so they've never been taught the true value of money, probably which they may have never earned, and will find themselves in serious debt. Who's to blame?
ToffeeCup
Hertfordshire
ToffeeCup is female 

06-06-2015, 08:04 AM

When these expensive items are bought do they look any different from a reasonable price shop. I think it's a must have world and obviously gives gratification because they feel they can afford it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 08:19 AM

How many celebrities do you see not wearing designer clothes or not carrying designer bags?
The young people want to be like them - cheap will just not do!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 09:41 AM

I do not own a hand bag -grief I have seen them and most women seem to lose things in the `black hole` £200 for a quality pair of shoes is not cheap but then again not silly.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Only yesterday a friend here showed me a photo on her phone from her 17 year old granddaughter. The granddaughter sent a photo of the new shoes she had bought, bright blue patent with a black 6" heel, price: 600 UK pounds....it leaves me speechless.

Yesterday we also saw a handbag in one of the "upmarket" shops, canvas with plastic cut-outs glued on (we couldn“t see any stitching), reduced from
E1,300 to E800, you could have bought the same bag on the market for E5 but without the designer tag. Who on earth thinks up these completely stupid prices in the first place? I wouldn“t pay such prices even if I could afford to either.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 12:43 PM

I agree Loretta - just don't see the value at all - they can push up the price because they know a certain culture will buy them 'because the price is high'
I worked with a gal like this - she showed me a shirt she bought for her guy, it was OK, but very expensive for a shirt - then in our lunch break we walked along and I spotted the same shirt £10 cheaper - I said get that and take yours back - Oh no, says she, I'll keep the dearer one - but its exactly the same make and shirt - no, she wanted it for the price tag ............
ToffeeCup
Hertfordshire
ToffeeCup is female 

06-06-2015, 12:47 PM

I popped to my local shop this morning and spoke to a lady I know who had been shopping with her 16 year old grandson because it was his birthday. She was quite proud to tell me all the money she had spent on him £60 for a pair of shorts, £70 for a tee-shirt and other stuff too.

When I go out with my granddaughter who is now 14yrs, I point out that some things are a bit expensive shall we look at alternatives, she knows I would not buy expensive stuff for her and keeps that in mind, I wanted her to know the value of money and not to expect too much in life.

My daughter in law bought her a lap top at a young age and all sorts of technical gadgets including an expensive mobile phone £300, she tells me how much everything is! I just say "you're a very lucky girl" - she does have a lovely nature, very thoughtful.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I agree Loretta - just don't see the value at all - they can push up the price because they know a certain culture will buy them 'because the price is high'
I worked with a gal like this - she showed me a shirt she bought for her guy, it was OK, but very expensive for a shirt - then in our lunch break we walked along and I spotted the same shirt £10 cheaper - I said get that and take yours back - Oh no, says she, I'll keep the dearer one - but its exactly the same make and shirt - no, she wanted it for the price tag ............
A few years ago I bought a lovely little pair of boots for my grandson, who was just a toddler at the time, I paid 8 euros for them on the market here. When I went over to UK we saw the same pair of little boots in a Peter Lord shop, so being curious we went in and asked to see them. They were exactly the same, even had on the box "made in Elche", price a whopping 58 UK pounds !

Our snooty next door neighbour here very proudly showed me a tee shirt she had bought in Cortez Anglais, sale price 15 euros, I showed her the one I bought on the market for 3 euros, exactly the same tee shirt, even the same label. "oh but it won't be the same quality" she said
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
A few years ago I bought a lovely little pair of boots for my grandson, who was just a toddler at the time, I paid 8 euros for them on the market here. When I went over to UK we saw the same pair of little boots in a Peter Lord shop, so being curious we went in and asked to see them. They were exactly the same, even had on the box "made in Elche", price a whopping 58 UK pounds !

Our snooty next door neighbour here very proudly showed me a tee shirt she had bought in Cortez Anglais, sale price 15 euros, I showed her the one I bought on the market for 3 euros, exactly the same tee shirt, even the same label. "oh but it won't be the same quality" she said
Made me laugh - they just won't accept it will they ............
The high end shops will sell these items at marked up prices for those that want to pay more - but look around and as we say, the 'same' items are a lot cheaper

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top