Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 11:32 PM

Re: Maths problem.

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Hi Rachel
Hiya

Maffs ???

Actually, some years ago, I did discover that knowing the circumference and diameter of a circle ... that thing involving PI ... was very helpful

I was making a waste paper bin for my studio reusing a corregated cardboard box.
I undid the box and calculated what size to make the base (round bit) using some mathy thing involving PI and stuff

Wow .. if only they'd told us at the time that this could be of value in our real lives
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 11:39 PM

When i was at school in the infants they was a new way of learning maths through something called Colour Factor, where coloured blocks were numbered and a different length in size, each coloured block was made out as a sum. This confused a lot of the class by the colour the size and the number of the block. My Mother spoke out at the Parent Teachers evening and i dont think anything came of it. But they was a lot of young kids that never got through their maths exams and i was one of them...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 04:37 AM

I never understood the point of algebra either. It's something that rarely involves the average person in everyday life, unless of course you decide to become a scientist/chemist/pharmacist - otherwise, it's pointless.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 07:02 AM

Not knowing the quantity of n, how can one assume that she will pick one of the few orange sweets, not proved.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 07:42 AM

Wrong Moyra. Read the question. Using the information given, you were asked to :
Show that n² – n – 90 = 0. You were not asked to find how many sweets were in the bag, but from the equation, it is obvious that there were 10 sweets initially.

QED

And yes, I am fun at parties.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 07:59 AM

This is a no brainer.
Forget the flipping algebra folks..
........this gal is eating far too many sweets..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 08:08 AM

All I know is that I go for a Number 2, everyday at 7.30am, and do 3 poops, is that a Logarythm?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 08:14 AM

V=4/3 n r3 X 2, now that IS bollocks.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
All I know is that I go for a Number 2, everyday at 7.30am, and do 3 poops, is that a Logarythm?
Could be, but wee all suspect this is pooerile nonsense.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
This is easy peasy... not like the proper questions we had in 'O' level.....

Right, there are 6 orange sweets in a bag containing N sweets, so the probability of choosing an orange sweet is 6/N.

Picking a second sweet there are 5 orange sweets in a bag of N-1.

The combined probability of these events happening are 6/N x 5/(N-1).
We know that this = 1/3 so we get 6/N x 5/(N-1) = 1/3

or 30/ (N² – N) = 1/3 which can be rearranged to n² – n – 90 = 0.

QED

Come on, what do people want these days, to be given the answer on a plate?
Surprising what you can Google.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/a...hat-went-viral

That is easy peasy

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top