Join for free
Page 4 of 26 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Re: Windows 10

How-To Geek, a generally well-respected site when it comes to advice, explains the difference between upgrade installations and clean installations. Although this article refers to the Windows 8 upgrade, Windows 10 is likely to offer the same options. I'm not certain about this however, so just have to wait and see how it goes at the time.

The upgrade is certainly the easiest option and maybe Microsoft will have got that just as good as doing a clean installation by the time the new OS is ready for release. If my past experience and the How-To Geek article has it right, then the clean installation might be better but it does mean having to re-install everything.

I'm not sure what all the options will be until actually trying them out after the release. I might upgrade first and clean install at a later date.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Me neither Marj in case it goes wrong
I am not very confident with my abilities when it comes to PCs
I will watch this thread and see what happens when others do the W10 update
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 08:22 PM

I wonder if the main problem at first will be the sheer numbers of people upgrading at the same time. I suppose the Microsoft servers must be geared up to it but slowness might be noticed. It's likely to be quite a big download too.

Having got it downloaded, the installation probably won't be that fast on the average computer.

I remember some people aborting upgrade installations of Windows 8 because nothing seemed to be happening. Then getting into problems because of that. With the upcoming upgrade, there could be times when the installation process appears to have hung. I'd say to keep waiting and waiting if this seems to be the case. The installation will eventually proceed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I wonder if the main problem at first will be the sheer numbers of people upgrading at the same time.
That may be so Mart even more reason to wait a bit.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

08-06-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That may be so Mart even more reason to wait a bit.
Yes, it can be best to wait for that reason. Also, there could well be other initial problems.

Despite all the Technical Preview testers giving feedback over the months, I don't think that's putting W.10 to the test quite as much as releasing it to the general public. There are bound to be problems cropping up that haven't been encountered by testers or that haven't been envisaged by Microsoft. People have so many variations of hardware, software and set-ups that I'd think it must be virtually impossible to cater for everything.

I suppose there has to come a point where software is declared 'final' but I'm sure it will continue to receive patches forever. Updates will likely continue even after any service packs are released because nothing is ever perfect. We're still getting updates and patches for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, even though these operating systems have been released for years (especially Windows 7).

This is not something that only happens to MS Windows. Mac and Linux operating systems get their regular patches and updates too, as does other types software. Examples being art programs, audio programs and security programs (not just virus definitions) ..almost anything. I think it's just the nature of software.

I will be installing the new OS as soon as it becomes available because that's an interest for me. I've got disk images to hand and backups of backups. I could even cleanly revert to a previous OS if things were too bad (but I'm sure they won't be). I know most just want a working computer but I think if waiting for all bugs to get squashed, it could mean waiting a long time. A few weeks to a couple of months wouldn't hurt though
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 08:32 AM

My upgrade from 8 to 8.1 took hours, and yes even I thought the PC was just hanging. It showed the percentage of progress, but stopped at a figure (35% I think) I left it and went back into the lounge and popped back at some time to see it had shot up to around 81%. Then when it does get to 100% it hovers there forever, then it has to install/configure etc. it really is best to walk away from an upgrade, allow yourself all day and certainly start first thing in the morning!

I need to read up on 10 before making a decision as W8 is relatively new to me and just about getting the hang of it.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Think I will just stay on 8.1 I rarely download anything, I never play any games all I do is Bank/read and type emails/ come on here for a short time each day and thats it 8.1 gives me all I need.

(famous last words)
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 11:24 PM

My computer doesn't have that little symbol that allows you to reserve it. Checked the website and it may be because it is awaiting an update from Microsoft.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 03:11 AM

The advice from my computer expert friend is to forget about Windows 8 (rather belately it seems for some) and to steer clear of Windows 10.

I'm still on Windows 7 and it works perfectly well and ain't broke, so no need to change or upgrade,

With each upgrade follows more complications so, if you're happy with what you have, don't change. Upgrades don't mean better.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2015, 04:51 PM

I have read through this thread, seems to be wait is the best answer. I have Windows7.
Mollie, I agree, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Page 4 of 26 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top