Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 03:53 PM

How do we know they are genuine.

After reading Suzuki Sue's posting about the drunk woman who asked to stay in her house for a while brings me to write about the problem of never really knowing who is genuine or not when they claim to be gas or electric meter readers etc.

I live on my own and I am so very wary of who comes in to my house, but how can I really tell if those that do knock are genuine. Anyone these days can print off things on the net and make cards posing as genuine people.

A young lad came yesterday to read my elec/gas meter and as soon as he came in and shut the door as it was very cold I panicked. I couldn't see his van and asked where it was and he said up the road.
I made out the dog was in the garden and shouted something like. "Stay there!" Sounds corny being as I haven't a dog but I was nervous until he went.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Re: How do we know they are genuine.

If you didnt answer the door to the Meter reader he would have left a card for you to fill in ..Or they put on the card when they will call again By which time you can have a relative to be with you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Absolutely understand what you say Maursey - you can ask for ID but in your shoes, they would have to make arrangements with me to read the meter. If you are not home, they leave a card to say they have called, you could then ring them. I'm the same as you, would not let them in ......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
If you didnt answer the door to the Meter reader he would have left a card for you to fill in ..Or they put on the card when they will call again By which time you can have a relative to be with you.
Snap Eliza !
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:20 PM

I answered the door Eliza because I didn't know who it was and it was daylight.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Please do not feel silly about pretending to have a dog in the garden. Just a short time ago I refused entry to a young man who informed me he had come to read the meter. I felt awkward at the time but he stood outside the front door muttering, that allowed me to feel justified. We are on a self read scheme so the reader not expected

I feel that the gas and electric companies should write to advise when their readers are going to visit. remember at one time, a man tried to open the back door to let himself in without invitation. Had a German Shepherd at the time so felt protected.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:23 PM

That's true Maursey who is real and who is fake? I don't think you can tell, you have to go with your own judgement. I just look at the hand held monitor and watch for them keying the numbers in that's all, and then copy the numbers down myself when they've gone, so i can match them up when i do get my reading through. That's the only way i can tell that he was a real Elec/Gas reader..
Soon they is going to be a Smart Reader coming out for Gas and Electricity, where you key your own reading into a hand held monitor and a signal is picked up at the main Company so no-one will be knocking at your door anymore. Which in my mind is a great idea as long as it works!
maursey
hertfordshire

26-02-2015, 04:25 PM

I have just rung the elec/gas company and told them that in future I will be reading my meter and sending it to them by email which they have accepted.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
I answered the door Eliza because I didn't know who it was and it was daylight.
Smart Meters are coming in the next few years ,so it wont be such a problem.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
I have just rung the elec/gas company and told them that in future I will be reading my meter and sending it to them by email which they have accepted.
Yes - was just gonna say - I have done the same thing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top