Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 08:40 PM

Even at 89, you don't expect it

Yesterday evening my 92 year old mother in law drove over to visit her dear friend for their weekly Monday evening cup of tea and gossip at her house, to find her in her chair in the living room - with a glass of sherry by her side and the television on. She had passed away late that afternoon the doctor said.

Before she retired she was a teacher at the local primary school for over 30 years and was one of the kindest people I knew. She would give her very last to anybody who needed it, and was the local agony aunt to anybody going through problems. Everybody loved her.

I know that at 89 years of age her natural death was to be expected, but I cannot believe how much I am in shock over it.

Isn't it strange? No matter how long a person lives, when they die it is always too soon.

I suppose that is our instincts, to expect that as long as we are alive, everybody else should be too.

Margaret left behind a son whom my wife is currently over visiting. He will be devastated as he was very close to his mother.

Please, don't waste a moment - if you love somebody tell them and BE WITH THEM. Tomorrow may be too late.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 08:46 PM

Re: Even at 89, you don't expect it

Yes doesn't matter how old a relative or good friend is Jim, you're going to miss them when they go, God rest her soul.
With full respects, she seems to have passed away very peacefully.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 08:57 PM

I know how sad you must be but what a lovely way to go .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 09:40 PM

Jim whatever their age it is always a hard blow when a good friend dies.
I am sorry to hear of your loss x
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 09:49 PM

So sorry for your loss I am sure it doesn't matter how old a person is if you love them you will get a shock and miss them.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 10:09 PM

So sorry for your loss, it doesn´t matter how old a person is it is still always a shock, but they are at peace and I´m sure leaving many wonderful memories behind them.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 10:12 PM

There's no age limit for grief and fondness. I'm sorry to hear about your dear friend and my thoughts are with you all x
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 10:59 PM

Your poor 92 year old Mother in Law, what a shock it must have been for her, hope she is ok.
So sad for the lady's son too.
One thing I will say, she went the way that most of us would love to go, at home in your own chair in her living room with a glass of sherry. Best way to go and she had a good long life.
Death is never easy for those left behind.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 11:01 PM

Jim, I understand what you mean about age as my aunt passed away suddenly last month at the age of 98. It wasn't expected as she was in fairly good health for her age. It still came as a terrible shock to us though but we are grateful she passed in such a peaceful way.

I'm so sorry your mother in law has lost her dear friend, thinking of you all x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Your poor 92 year old Mother in Law, what a shock it must have been for her, hope she is ok.
So sad for the lady's son too.
One thing I will say, she went the way that most of us would love to go, at home in your own chair in her living room with a glass of sherry. Best way to go and she had a good long life.
Death is never easy for those left behind.

I agree with you Anita. So sorry OB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top