Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 05:41 PM

The young generation

I'm staying with my sister for a few days in Surrey. Today her daughter came round and her new handbag cost £500. Her shoes were £200 . She thinks nothing of spending large amounts and says she refuses to buy cheap things as she deserves them. Yes she works full time and lives alone . It really amazes me these huge amounts of money. When I told her I live on a state pension she shrugs her shoulders and dismisses it.

I suppose it's not possible for the young ones to understand , but maybe it's just we don't need or want these expensive things .....or do we ?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 06:07 PM

Re: The young generation

You can pick up designer handbags and shoes up in the charity shop for less than a tenner..
I think her daughter could be living above her means and needs to becareful that she doesnt get into a trap with credit cards etc..
Everything is made easy for the younger generation to spend money they don't really have.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 06:30 PM

If I won the lottery tomorrow - I wouldn't pay those prices
There's a gal on QVC, silly woman she is but people pay the ridiculous prices she commands for her tacky looking bags - seen better in Matalan and Primark
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 07:17 PM

It's a designer world, which I have no interest in. Some people will wear nothing less than a designer label. I see it as a terrible waste of money, but some people these days are so materialistic. I think it can show insecurity.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
It's a designer world, which I have no interest in. Some people will wear nothing less than a designer label. I see it as a terrible waste of money, but some people these days are so materialistic. I think it can show insecurity.

Myra, I wouldn't even know what labels to look for!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 07:30 PM

I tend to think there is something rather sad about young people (or anyone, for that matter!) spending huge amounts on designer labels and other material things. I agree that it may represent some insecurity, but I also wonder if it is a sort of displacement activity for something which is missing in their lives. Like owning expensive things is the only thing that gives them real pleasure. I'd hate to be like that.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 07:37 PM

Seems strange how another thread was discussing how badly off the younger generation are and that they may never own their own homes and need to work all hours God sends and enlist an army of helpers to care for their children so they can work full time jobs.

Perhaps the above post paints another side to the coin although this young lady is single and presumably has no children but it still speaks volumes about expectations, etc.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Seems strange how another thread was discussing how badly off the younger generation are and that they may never own their own homes and need to work all hours God sends and enlist an army of helpers to care for their children so they can work full time jobs.

Perhaps the above post paints another side to the coin although this young lady is single and presumably has no children but it still speaks volumes about expectations, etc.
It certainly does. And perhaps also about values as well.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 08:05 PM

I find it incredibly hard to understand how anyone can spend that sort of money on things of so little importance, or rather they are to me. My son spends a lot of money on his hobby which is fish tank breeding and keeping. At least that is for the welfare of his fish but I still think it is incredible the amounts they spend. I just want to make sure that the money I have will provide for the day to day things I need, which can be pc maintenance but also keeping my little car afloat even though I only use it a couple of hundred miles a year. It is important to me and I guess that is it, it depends on what is important to any one!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 08:05 PM

I'm very old fashioned and remember when a pound was a pound so it's not east to grasp what the kids call a 'Bargain' these days. The eldest grandson came in the other day with sneaker shoes in a bag, I asked if they were dear "No Grandad, they were on special offer at 120 euros!" I nearly had a seizure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top