Join for free
Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Re: Smoking free county

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Because people are associated if they like it or not !
If smokers only bothered themselves it would be no problem .
But they don’t their impose themselves and their noxious smoke on others
It is better now I am glad to say .
Society has at long last weighed in on the side of non smokers .
With respect Muddy, Your description of smokers above is very unfair and shows you seem to lump everyone that smokes together as despicable, not their habit, but they themselves.

Not everyone walks around pushing a pram with a 'fag' in their mouth, Many smokers are very respectful of non-smokers and plenty smokers are thoughtful of the need to stand outside of their back door or go into the garden to light up. HWMO only smokes his pipe in his shed or in more clement weather, sitting in the garden. It's certainly not their fault if they are outside and a non-smoker happens to come into the vicinity of where they have stood originally so as not to upset others with their habit, which I repeat - is perfectly legal. If you come across such a person, simply turn and walk the other way.

Please don't think I am condoning the habit in any way, shape or form Muddy.
I myself once lay in a hospital ward bed nearest the windows which happened to be above the main entrance to the A&E dept directly below our ward, and endured days of cigarette smoke wafting up from smokers milling around outside the entrance at Shrewsbury Hospital, and my ward (22) was the Respiratory Ward! I was glad to be moved to another bed.
Shrewsbury Hospital is supposed to be a smoke-free zone, but it is never actioned.

All the same, I don't see someone standing on their own, minding their own business, smoking a cigarette, and turn my nose up in disgust at them. They are only harming themselves, not me, I've got two feet and can walk the other way.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Why should we be required to walk the other way?

We are not the polluters, we are not harming other people, we are not encouraging kids to take up the horrid habit by exposing it as if it were normal and "grown up".
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
The legislation went too far thanks to the breweries.

Some 20 odd years ago my friendly local tenant landlord (not a manager) spent £2000 on an air conditioning system out of his own pocket.The pub split into smoking and non smoking areas and there was not a whiff of smoke in the air....none.

Two other local pubs under brewery managers spent zilch on the problem.Apart from an ancient 15 inch expelair in the bar they spent sod all to clean up their act.
On busy nights it was like a Dartmoor fog in there and there were many complaints even from long term smokers like myself.

The breweries were too tight to spend sod all on the problem.Half the closed down pubs are entirely their own fault.
Having a non smoking area in a pub is on a par with having a non piddling part of a swimming pool.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Why should we be required to walk the other way?

We are not the polluters, we are not harming other people, we are not encouraging kids to take up the horrid habit by exposing it as if it were normal and "grown up".
Because YOU are invading THEIR private space while all they are doing is respecting the law that says they must smoke outside. so there they are, obeying that law by having their cigarette outside, then along comes you into their space.

Its just the same as if you were standing or sitting somewhere on your own in the sunshine enjoying a can of beer and someone comes along,walks past you, sees what you are doing, stops to give you a filthy look at why you are drinking alcohol in a public place. How would that make you feel?

I can tell you now, if I was still a smoker, standing somewhere where there was no-one else about in order to smoke a cigarette and someone came along and moaned at me or did the usual patronising fanning of their hand in front of their face, I would willingly pay £1 into my swearbox and send them off with a flea in their ear!.
And I have never in my life sworn in public!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Because YOU are invading THEIR private space while all they are doing is respecting the law that says they must smoke outside. so there they are, obeying that law by having their cigarette outside, then along comes you into their space.

Its just the same as if you were standing or sitting somewhere on your own in the sunshine enjoying a can of beer and someone comes along,walks past you, sees what you are doing, stops to give you a filthy look at why you are drinking alcohol in a public place. How would that make you feel?

I can tell you now, if I was still a smoker, standing somewhere where there was no-one else about in order to smoke a cigarette and someone came along and moaned at me or did the usual patronising fanning of their hand in front of their face, I would willingly pay £1 into my swearbox and send them off with a flea in their ear!.
Good for you. Live and let live.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

They should all have a designated area,where they can all smoke together.....outside,is not good enough IMO....when children are walking by....

They need a special chamber...where they can all gas themselves,with their own smoke!....I bet a few would stop then!.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Any excuse to get their pants off, eh?
How very dare you,think of me that way!..

Humour keeps me going.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
They should all have a designated area,where they can all smoke together.....outside,is not good enough IMO....when children are walking by....

They need a special chamber...where they can all gas themselves,with their own smoke!....I bet a few would stop then!.
You'll have noticed that I'm a non-smoker and have been for well over a decade, yet I still like to see both sides of the argument.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 06:15 PM

Where did all this 'My Space' come from anyway.....?

It's not your space or anybody else's, if someone is having a fag it's a legal act and they have as much right to be there as you. If you don't like breathing in smoke on bonfire night, don't go to a bonfire Simples!

In my opinion smokers should be allowed to smoke outside anywhere they wish. The only problem with making laws for this and that, is eventually we take away people's freedoms, not just smokers, and become a police state where where you must act and speak in a controlled way.

I could complain about horses chopping up the path over the fields making it too muddy to walk or run on, or the excessive amount of dog poo on the paths and green spaces around the village. Or campaign that every dog should have a licence.....But I don't, probably because having been a smoker in the past, has made me more tolerant to other people, instead of going round looking for what and who I can complain about.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You'll have noticed that I'm a non-smoker and have been for well over a decade, yet I still like to see both sides of the argument.
Yep....We need to be more tolerant to other people and sometimes grit out teeth and walk away....

Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top