Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Re: "The wife".

You have a point EZ, we have never had that problem ......
I wonder though if it is a generation thing, sounds like a term that goes way back .....
I think most spouses have an affectionate term for each other, but in company, should be the name they were born with or a variation thereof .....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 01:36 PM

It could equally be 'the trouble'.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It could equally be 'the trouble'.
Just sounds disrespectful to me ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 02:31 PM

As long as whatever is said is said with affection I really don't see the problem, I think married couples negotiate their boundaries on these things and what one couple likes another might not but it's for them to decide what is right for them.

I think this one may be generational and will die out soon anyway as young women seem much less happy to see themselves as a wife foremost anyway.

Multiple marriages too as people don't work at their relationships to make them work so the wife can't really be used for any of them safely.

One of our friends refers to his wife as the current Mrs James which she finds completely acceptable but might make me a bit nervous if I were her especially as she is his 3rd wife !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 02:32 PM

A few alternatives for us guys. Er Indoors, Trouble and Strife, She who must be obeyed, Ball and Chain, Rib, Petal, Love, Hinny, Pet, Dragon, She Devil. Wifelets, ( for the Marquess of Bath).

Off to hide in my trench expect, incoming fire. Got my helmet and camo gear you wont find me. 021:
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Of course you're right Julie - if the wife doesn't like a term, she will let it be known, or at least she should ..
Its probably something that was said down the generations .....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
A few alternatives for us guys. Er Indoors, Trouble and Strife, She who must be obeyed, Ball and Chain, Rib, Petal, Love, Hinny, Pet, Dragon, She Devil. Wifelets, ( for the Marquess of Bath).

Off to hide in my trench expect, incoming fire. Got my helmet and camo gear you wont find me. 021:
No - you're alright Nom, had a think on it, if the wifes happy - that's the main thing, aint it
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As long as whatever is said is said with affection I really don't see the problem, I think married couples negotiate their boundaries on these things and what one couple likes another might not but it's for them to decide what is right for them.

I think this one may be generational and will die out soon anyway as young women seem much less happy to see themselves as a wife foremost anyway.

Multiple marriages too as people don't work at their relationships to make them work so the wife can't really be used for any of them safely.

One of our friends refers to his wife as the current Mrs James which she finds completely acceptable but might make me a bit nervous if I were her especially as she is his 3rd wife !
I think you are spot on there, Julie. It's a personal thing.

Another thought - perhaps some women don't like being called "my" wife with its implication of possession? Extreme, I know, but I bet there are some out there!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 05:10 PM

What about people referring to you as Mrs. Bill so & so or Mrs. Fred so & so?
Even my husband doesn't like that & has felt cringy when a card comes & it's addressed to us using only his name. It doesn't bother me as much but it does put that twinge of "oh, I don't have a name?"
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-04-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
What about people referring to you as Mrs. Bill so & so or Mrs. Fred so & so?
Even my husband doesn't like that & has felt cringy when a card comes & it's addressed to us using only his name. It doesn't bother me as much but it does put that twinge of "oh, I don't have a name?"
Don't like that one !
Have to also go to the bother of having my name added to bills, otherwise they wont discuss things with 'me' !

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top