Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Serendipitous or what?

I used to love ironing, when we lived in the Midlands I would spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon, listening to the local radio station which at that time played three hours of 'oldies' an hour for each time period. Made the time fly by. Then first they changed the programming, then my back problems became worse, then we moved anyway and somehow my Sunday ironing marathons became a case of ironing what was needed when it was needed, and discovered that frequently certain items could do without anyway.

Then a few years ago, whilst surfing the shopping channels (used to love the various demonstrations and have often got a good bargain) when I spotted a table top 'press' but unfortunately it was way out of my price range. Over the years it has reduced in price, but never enough to tempt me to fork out for one.

BUT, yesterday was having a coffee and a sausage sarnie (brunch) and I thought to myself, 'have not looked at the shopping channels for a while, lets see if there is anything on offer', and the first thing was the table top 'press' which not only had come down in price again, but was on special offer (less a further 120 quids!), furthermore they claimed there were not many left. Well a quick check of the bank balance and yes could afford it. So it is to be expected within the next couple of days. There is a part of me itching to get stuck in and iron everything in sight .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 05:38 PM

Re: Serendipitous or what?

Good for you - take it easy though - don't go mad !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I used to love ironing, when we lived in the Midlands I would spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon, listening to the local radio station which at that time played three hours of 'oldies' an hour for each time period. Made the time fly by. Then first they changed the programming, then my back problems became worse, then we moved anyway and somehow my Sunday ironing marathons became a case of ironing what was needed when it was needed, and discovered that frequently certain items could do without anyway.

Then a few years ago, whilst surfing the shopping channels (used to love the various demonstrations and have often got a good bargain) when I spotted a table top 'press' but unfortunately it was way out of my price range. Over the years it has reduced in price, but never enough to tempt me to fork out for one.

BUT, yesterday was having a coffee and a sausage sarnie (brunch) and I thought to myself, 'have not looked at the shopping channels for a while, lets see if there is anything on offer', and the first thing was the table top 'press' which not only had come down in price again, but was on special offer (less a further 120 quids!), furthermore they claimed there were not many left. Well a quick check of the bank balance and yes could afford it. So it is to be expected within the next couple of days. There is a part of me itching to get stuck in and iron everything in sight .

I have some shirts if you want to practice DM.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Oh never iron anything unless it looks like I've slept in it!! I do fold everything to within an inch of its life though so no creases to speak of...I hate ironing!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 07:01 PM

I used to love ironing, there is something so very satisfying about a pile of perfectly pressed items, then ruddy back problems made it so painful had to stop, but this new toy will revive the pleasure. Whahey
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Lol....I can remember my mom ironing for hours when we were youngsters, think that probably put me off. I always loved the smell of freshly ironed clothes though.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 12:55 PM

I've never ironed.
I've heard some people even iron their bed sheets!

I'm not meticulous, I mainly wear jeans or shorts/T shirts or tank tops depending on the weather. Especially now out here in Trent Hills, no one sees us anyway, lol.

I'd never iron a t-shirt.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

12-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Problem with T's is that they shrink slightly and thus need pulling and tugging back into shape before drying, ironing solves that problem. The same with jeans which also seem to 'drop' half a size after washing. Besides I always felt there was something both therapeutic and satisfying about ironing. A bit like the feeling you get looking at a line of pure whit nappies blowing in the wind.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 01:23 PM

I like ironing - providing I can do it the same day the clothes are washed and dried. Have even been known to take the ironing board out into the garden in summer and iron things straight from the line. They smell woderful.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 02:00 PM

there's no joy in ironing, I only do it if absolutely necessary!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top