Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Have you ever been told something you didnt know about????

I have known my Brother all my life and he phoned me today for a chat. He told me something that I had never
heard of even though I am 67.
We were talking about Ancestry and our family.
He said I remember our Granddad telling me that when
he was on a boat in the Channel coming from France they
were torpedoed by the Germans. As he was known as a
good swimmer he was told to jump in and he rescued
8 men in the water. He did do that and was given a medal.
He was one of the first people in Leeds to receive a swimming
certificate at his local Baths and was seemingly a great swimmer.
I felt proud but shocked that I hadn't heard that story until
Anyone else heard something that surprised them years later??
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 06:04 PM

Re: Have you ever been told something you didnt know about????

I found out a lot in my ancestry after rooting through the old papers all of it bad news,seems i have a shed full of Skeletons.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Well Sandy - what a surprise for you !
I can well understand mixed emotions, I loved and respected my nan and I so regret not having spoke with her on 'her' life, there is so much I don't know, I just know she had it very tough.
So, I regret not having more knowledge of my family. I am sure there are many shocks and surprises there .......
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 06:34 PM

I discovered only yesterday that one of my grandmothers was Swiss! Pass the Alpine horn, I feel a tune coming on ....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 06:42 PM

I had a friend who told us she was 39, had one daughter, lived on benefits, was always hard up, was a good Christian, very pleasant, honest, had a boyfriend (older man) who she adored. Suddenly, she died. On my door step I found a twenty-something young woman with a large dog.
It turned out to be her 3rd daughter, from her 1st marriage, she had been brought up in care, she had been found alone on a flat with a German shepherd while her mother was at work. My friend was really in her fifties and was prone to picking up bus drivers! She also owned a business, a fabric shop. More and more things I didn't know came to light! It was truly amazing!
Oh and her name wasn't the one we knew her by!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Loads of times....you would be surprised at the things people say and do when they are coming out of anasthesia.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Loads of times....you would be surprised at the things people say and do when they are coming out of anasthesia.
Oh yes !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 09:20 PM

I learned, via family history research, that my paternal grandmother had a relative who owned a blanket mill in Bradford. He had 5 children, then his wife died and he moved to Bristol and opened another blanket mill there. Married again, had 6 more children, had a road named after him and endowed Bristol University with a library!
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 09:21 PM

....you would be surprised at the things people say and do when they are coming out of anasthesia....

I though she was a pop singer?

Regards, Malc.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
....you would be surprised at the things people say and do when they are coming out of anasthesia....

I though she was a pop singer?

Regards, Malc.
????Pardon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top