Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Re: Pension credits..

Hi

We can expect massive changes soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-young-people
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 01:50 PM

Giving money away to in order to claim a benefit isn’t a route anyone should consider either .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We can expect massive changes soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-young-people
This apparently will not apply to Pension Credit

Revealing the depth of political opportunism, the triple lock only applies to the state pension, which goes to the rich and poor alike. It doesn’t apply to pension credit, which targets those with no other income: perhaps poor pensioners were unlikely to be bribed into voting Tory.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 01:10 PM

Yes, I would advise everyone who is genuinely entitled to it, to claim for Pension Credit. Even I did as I saw an advert from some pension organisationg (sorry cannot remember which) it could have been SAGA - stating that so many pensioners are missing out by not claiming for this entitlement, and encouraged everyone to claim. I knew nothing about it but still applied and was informed I was not entitled to claim anything due to savings, but I would encourage others to go ahead and apply. It is extra money for you. From what they told me, if you are on Pension Credit it entitles you to automatically apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax being paid for, However, if you have savings and capital totalling over £16,000, you will not get it. Pension Credit also allows you as a pensioner, to underlying carer's allowance if you are looking after a
spouse or partner, free dental care and money towards prescription glasses. So, it is definitely worth applying for. I applied online on the Government Pension Credit Application Form.

EDIT
I feel I must add that when I said savings and capital over £16,000, this figure does NOT include owning your own home. You can still claim and still receive Pension Credit if you are a homeowner.

Also, I'm not sure what the figure is that the Government says a pensioner (and Partner) should have to live on, but if your income is below this (I think, but not sure, it is something like £380 per week for a couple) you are entitled to claim Pension Credit. I also recall that they do not take a benefit such as AA (Attendance Allowance) into account when working out your weekly income, so as I say, I would recommend anyone who is below that figure (sorry cannot remember what the figure was for those living on their own, but I'm sure it will state it on the government advisory pages with the online application form) to go ahead and claim. This is money that could make a huge difference to your well-being and quality of life. After all, what have you to lose. They can only say yes or no!.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 03:28 PM

It's £173.75 for single person and £265.20 for couples.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
It's £173.75 for single person and £265.20 for couples.

Yes, I believe that to be about right Xandra.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 04:26 PM

Hi

I do not get anything near that.

I paid into Private Pensions, so only get £110 weekly which is subject to Tax,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I do not get anything near that.

I paid into Private Pensions, so only get £110 weekly which is subject to Tax,
Only £110 per week? Swimmy - I am surprised that you receive that much given that you have multiple private pensions, injury pension, your lodgers allowance and the savings that you have previously told us about.

Using the calculator in Zuleika's post I submitted my age, my basic state pension, and my NHS pension. No other source of income. No savings at all - they went to pay off the mortgage - and I am not entitled to a brass farthing!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:26 AM

You can only claim if you have less then approx €173 income per week .You cant have more than 10k in savings .

So for instance if you have €150 per week state pension and no other income at all you will get pension credit top up to £173 .per week .

Those who have full state pension and maybe a small private pension are unlikely to get it even if that private pension takes you a few £ over the cut off point. But always worth trying. Savings are taken into account .

A friend recently widowed tried to claim but as her state pension was £160 per week and a private pension from hubby of £37 and around £10k savings was refused .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
You can only claim if you have less then approx €173 income per week .You cant have more than 10k in savings .

So for instance if you have €150 per week state pension and no other income at all you will get pension credit top up to £173 .per week .

Those who have full state pension and maybe a small private pension are unlikely to get it even if that private pension takes you a few £ over the cut off point. But always worth trying. Savings are taken into account .

A friend recently widowed tried to claim but as her state pension was £160 per week and a private pension from hubby of £37 and around £10k savings was refused .
Thank you, Susan, that's just what I thought.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top