Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:16 PM

A Bridge to the Sun

Just watched this film for the umpteenth time and it still makes me sad!

Based on the true story of Gwen Harold, a woman from Tennessee, who meets and falls in love with Hidenari Terasaki - secretary to the Japanese Ambassador, whom she meets at a reception in Washington DC. They marry in spite of opposition from all sides and go to live in Tokyo. There Gwen finds it very difficult to adapt to Japanese culture - especially the attitude towards women. In November 1941 they return to Washington with their young daughter and - in December 1941 the attack on Pearl Harbour happens. This, as you can imagine, throws their lives into chaos. She is despised for being married to a Japanese - he is despised and called traitor for having an American wife. They are hounded and endangered in both Washington and Tokyo.

I have no doubt that the story/film has had the 'Hollywood' treatment because it is different from the book in many particulars - but I still find it very moving. Their daughter - Mariko - went on to become a diplomat.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:28 PM

Re: A Bridge to the Sun

That sounds interesting, ST - was it on 'ordinary' TV?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:38 PM

No - I have it on DVD. It is an excellent film though - maybe on Netflix or similar.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 08:13 AM

Thank you - will have a look.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top