Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 11:21 AM

Re: Digital Identity

Since I wrote my initial post I downloaded the app and now have my Digital ID. It was surprisingly easy.

First I had to give a personal email address which I did and received an email with a confirmation number to enter into the app before I could proceed.

It then asked me to scan my driving licence with my phone and it read all the details it needed from that. As my second proof of ID I used my Medicare card again the app scanned it and got all the details it needed. It then confirmed and approved my ID - it took about a minute so I presume it actually did some checking.

Then I logged into my personal MyGov account and registered my DigitalID it sent a number to enter into the app on my phone and the website and the app confirmed they were connected.

My phone now holds my driving licence, my regos for car and camper, information about my pension, my medical records.

To be honest I am not 100% sure what this DigitalID will mean for me or how I will use it but my wallet has to carry less cards.

Security doesn't seem to be a problem, when you log into the government sites they send you a text with a confirmation number before you can gain entry (same as the banks).

For a number of years I certainly wouldn't go anywhere without my phone, it is even more imperative as time goes on, I think I will insist upon it being buried with me.

BTW my kids don't carry credit or debit cards they just use their phone for such transactions using the NFC built into their phone

Baz46,

I am glad you found my blog thing interesting, I used to keep journals of my travels but this is much better and my kids do actually read it too. (or so they say) I try to write it up each day even if I don't post it straight away.

Sometimes strangers email me especially from Europe saying they read some of it, a recent one said something along the lines of, "You have a very different lifestyle down under from the way we live here. I am not sure I could cope with being so far from help while I was on holiday" So I wonder if I give the wrong impression because even on the loneliest track it is rare to see nobody at all - it does happen but not that often.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 12:02 PM

Re: Digital Identity

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Baz,

A Bank DP Manager once told me that, if they took responsibility for all of money lost to scammers, the Banks would all be empty within a week!

In my opinion, to make any kind of security workable, they have to make the account holder feel some pain.

Then that person might even read the guidance and be more careful, in future.

If people were being very careful, scamming would not be so prevalent.

i
Empty banks, is that empty of customers or money?

I know what you mean though but not all bank customers are youngsters whose minds seem to be geared to technology, this appears to be overlooked. I often find some features of online banking far too quick, I know this is a 'security' feature but I also know I am not that slow. Having been using online banking since it arrived and qualified on computer keyboards I have been timed-out when trying to set up a simple online payment. How on earth someone of later years, who is also struggling with the technology, manages I just don't know.

At one time cash was cash, then along came cheques which by comparison to today's technology was relatively easy. One only had to be able to write and sign your name. There wasn't scamming at the level we have now, the banks even fight shy of telling us what they lose through scamming, I wonder why? Now we have new technology, which for some people means almost having a degree in computers. What also isn't taken into account, when it comes to paying out when people have been scammed, is that we are not all equal. I can do a lot on computers as I was in an industry that used them, however, a family member my age cannot use a qwerty keyboard so doesn't use e-mail, she also struggles with online banking but there is very little alternative nowadays.

When eventually the population consists of just those who have grown up with today's technology, the scammers might not have the upper hand, those they try and scam will be their equals and know and understand as much as the scammers do.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm sorry but all this high tec security just makes my head hurt...
It's getting that way with me too OGF, despite being reasonably aware and astute about most of this security and being on computers since the mid-1980s. The difference between the days, when a bank had my money in their vault and I had a cheque book to pay a bill or withdraw cash, and what is happening now with banking, has become so technical. After all it's the banks who are now closing branches and almost forcing everyone to use online banking. That must increase their profits, less branches to upkeep and pay rent for, less staff etc., etc. That is what this is all about, the customer seems to feature less and less these days.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top